Frist Brisket question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use hungarian paprika but because of the fact that I use New Mexician Chili pepper, paprika is not going to influence the taste print as much if you were not using chili pepper.
If you foil and cook, and don't use chili and other peppers, a pot roast type flavor would be to expected.
jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Munson:
[qb]I think Chris or Jim mentioned that meat does not absorb smoke above a certain temp. Learning that, I get the WSM to smoke heavily the first third of the cook until the meat gets above 160 or so.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The conventional wisdom is that smoke ring formation stops at 140*F internal meat temp, but smoke flavor continues to build with additional exposure to smoke.

Regards,
Chris

Thank you for correcting my mistake Chris.

I had thought that the meat absorbs smoke flavor more at the beginning of a cook more than the end.

Smokering is a chemical reaction to nitrate to simplify the explanation, the reaction stop at aprox 140? internal. Smoke flavor good or bad will be applied to the meat as long as you apply the smoke. They are two different functions.
Jim

Tom - That's great information about Penzy's, The Spice House, and the paprika. I just checked the Spice House's website and the EXQUISITE grade of paprika is listed today (12/9/02). I suppose they only list it when it is available, rather than back-order it.

Thanks for the tip!
Rita

I was down there getting spices to make BRITU yesterday (first time for that too didnt have time to cook the brisket in time for the packer game sun night. They dont usually get it and if you wnat it in the Milwaukee store they only have one more sack of it (I'm guessing its a big sack)but they are mostly retail so whos to say they may have it for a while and then they also have it in the Chciago storee as well. The clerk who helped me told me the owner was real proud of being able to bring it in the country. I've never seen it there before a couple of months ago it showed up. By the by BRITU lives up to its name!!!! loved it turned out great will do the Brisket Tuesday overnight into Wed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back