Friday night smoke

Matt Faery

TVWBB Member
Now prepping the Butt and Brisket for the overnight smoke. It will be ready by post time for the Belmont stakes.

What do you all like to put on the Butt after it's pulled, just leftover rub or do you have a sauce? I was thinking of seperating it into a couple different pans to try something different. Any suggestions out there, I will be willing to give them a go.

Let me know what you all are smoking this weekend. Obviously you know what I'm making now but on Sunday it's baby backs.

Scott's is a little spicey for me, but I'm not from the Big Easy
icon_smile.gif
. I do like to add extra rub as I pull the pork. I use cookie sheet-type trays and add the rub to each layer of the pulled pork. Also good to break up your bark and try to disburse it throughout the meat.

Take a look in the "rubs, etc" section and you'll see a number of recipes for different sauces that are used on pulled pork.

Paul

On the pulled pork part of the butt it's a vinegar sauce for me (with mustard, without tomato), splashed on during pulling and more served on the side. For the rest of the butt (or part or all of the other butt, it's often a chile sauce made with dried chilies and fresh tomato, or a kind of island thing with mango, grilled onion, and grilled habs pureed with spices and pineapple vinegar. I'm always changing these other sauces; for 'regular' PP, it's the vinegar-mustard sauce.

I'm trying to get home for the race. If I can it'll be close so it'll be tri-tip on the grill. I know I'll be doing butts, salmon, thighs, and rotis Frango, but I'm not sure when and in what order yet. I also want to squeeze in rabbit, brisket, and duck but now that carnitas have been mentioned--well, it's a good thing I just stocked up on FoodSaver rolls.

If your cooking tri tip on the gasser try this sometime. Cut a pocket in the center. Toss it on the grill. When you make the turn, stuff it with bleu cheese and close the pocket with some metal prongs. I love bleu cheese and doing it this way gets that great flavor without all the cheese melting out of the steak. I also cut it on a plate so I can scoop the steak juice mixed with some of the melted bleu cheese up and spread it on the top for serving.

Tri-tip on the grill for me, too, tomorrow, if TJ's has one for me.

Next weekend, good old butts and brisket Friday into Saturday.

Matt--

The blue cheese sounds terrific. I don't have a gasser but I don't see why that wouldn't work on the kettle. Thanks for the suggestion.

Back