Friday Night - PP

Jamie Berry

TVWBB Fan
I set up the wsm friday night for an all nighter. Around 11 p.m. temp was around 250 put in 17 lbs. of butts adjusted the vents. Waited for temp to baseline around 220-225 when it did i went to bed. 6 am temp was 220 so i stoked the coals with a stick and went back to bed. Meat came off at 1 pm. pulled at 4:30 for dinner at 5. All my friends think i was sweating over the "pit" all night. Nope. Easy, greezy, beautiful - pork.

some pics:

DSC_0633.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0635.JPG

DSC_0641.JPG

IMG_2892.JPG

Looks great! im doing a day smoke with PP at the moment.

I go for a bit higer heat around 250 9hours in @ 181 inner temp but this was only 1 "5 pounder"

The shred looks fantastic!

Hope i end upp with that

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The shred looks fantastic!

Hope i end upp with that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I just use two forks and my fingers to pull the meat. I do want to try the bear claws though. Good luck!

Jamie, if you prefer to pull, you'll LOVE the Bearclaws. It doesn't take anytime at all if you cook the butt long enough. Most of your time is spent picking out the biggest fat pieces and chopping the bark.

I never get tired of seeing PP cook pics--thanks for posting! Looks yummy! Butts aren't a lot of effort, but they are a lot of time, which is in short supply for me right now....

Try my technique once and you'll never even think about forks or bear claws again.

Get some heat and grease resistant gloves. I just pull some latex gloves on over my thick cotton gloves.
Grab that butt and squeeze it! If it's done, it'll fall to pieces. Just keep picking up the pieces and squeezing them till it's all in small pieces, then break apart with your hands into thumb size pieces.
Easy as pie!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Try my technique once and you'll never even think about forks or bear claws again.

Get some heat and grease resistant gloves. I just pull some latex gloves on over my thick cotton gloves.
Grab that butt and squeeze it! If it's done, it'll fall to pieces. Just keep picking up the pieces and squeezing them till it's all in small pieces, then break apart with your hands into thumb size pieces.
Easy as pie! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is all I've ever used (heavy black food handling gloves with a cotton liner you see everywhere - Black Knight. Typically $10 pair, but if you buy from wholesaler about $3-$4 @ 10 pair. I use them in the kitchen too for handling food (turkey, chickens, hams, roasts, etc).

So simple that I never really think about using any sort of tool. Not knocking bear claws at all (I like tools!), just always did it this way and if the butt is "done" working it this way is so easy. These gloves are great for actually handling/turning food on the smoker as well, same as on the grill. Just don't use them to move the grates around or directly over flame
icon_smile.gif

BTW Jamie - nice looking "meteors"! Great job.

I thought everybody used gloves to move butts to foil, etc, but really, the BearClaws make pulled just about as easy as squeezed apart.

Back