Fresh Ham

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
Gonna try to smoke a fresh frozen ham for tomorrow. This ham has been butchered and then frozen, so I have no idea how to smoke this booger. Does anyone have any ideas that you can share with me in it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Gonna try to smoke a fresh frozen ham for tomorrow. This ham has been butchered and then frozen, so I have no idea how to smoke this booger. Does anyone have any ideas that you can share with me in it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ed, smoke as you would a pork loin. Season or rub as desired and cook too an internal temp of about 155º, loosely tent with foil and let rest 30 minutes or so and then slice.

well, it's probably too late for this tip, but with a ham, I believe a good brine will help make your roast more juicy and flavourful. I'm assuming it's a pretty big piece of meat.

I usually flavor brine fresh hams for 3 days, paste rub, then cook like a loin, as Larry suggests. A favorite.

Try this brine recipe from the owners manual. It is what I do for a fresh ham.

Sweet Pickle Brine
1 gal. water
2 1?2 cups salt
1?3 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon Liquid garlic
1 oz. pickling spices

Click here for more info

Back