Fresh garlic substitutes

Always. Sometimes I use it in a marinade to thicken it up, whereas moist minced garlic won't do that.

I just did a batch of chicken quarters (on the left of the grill) with nothing on their dry skin but garlic and onion powder. Adds to the skin crispiness. Simple recipe for guests who want to avoid sugar in their marinades.

View attachment 62440
All of that chicken looks great - but if I were standing in front of that grill, I would just be nom-nom -ing my way through
those drumsticks on the right. :love:

All of that chicken looks great - but if I were standing in front of that grill, I would just be nom-nom -ing my way through
those drumsticks on the right. :love:

A constant temptation. Actually, we had to appease one of our grandchildren with 2 of those drumsticks before everyone arrived for dinner.

Drumstick marinade is brown sugar, minced garlic, black pepper, salt and vinegar.

I used to buy the jar of minced garlic at Costco, now I buy the bag of whole cloves at Costco and freeze them. Take a couple/few cloves out at a time and keep in the refrigerator to use, and store the big bag in the freezer.

@Brett-EDH Have you used the older style zyliss susi like this one? If yes, is the new style better?

View attachment 62752
View attachment 62754
I have not. Sam the Cooking Guy talks about it sometimes as he uses the one you pictured here.

The new one works just fine and I can squeeze 1-3 cloves at the same time, size depending. I’m quite happy with the mince and that it doesn’t break in my hands.

Back