Freezing Ribs

Jim Creasy

TVWBB Fan
I've read about those who freeze pulled pork in a vacuum sealed bag for reheating and later consumption.

What about ribs? If this can successfully be done, any heads up on method?

Thanks in advance,

JKC

We vacuum seal and freeze all our meat (including ribs) in small quauntities after competition. When we want to eat some, we just pop the vacuum pouch in a pot of boiling water to reheat.

Rib bones can poke holes in the plastic when vacuum is applied. Consumer grade plastic is nowhere near as thick as commercial grade. The result is eventual freezer burn.

If you have this problem, try padding the sharp bones with a layer of paper towel before vacuuming.

Regards,
Chris

I might add you can start the seal process in a Food Saver earlier too so the vaccum is not quite so tight.

I like ribs foiled, & reheated in the oven in foil the next day ('extra' ribs never seem to last very long). I 2nd Chris' point about rib bones poking holes in the vac bags but I might suggest butcher/wax paper to protect the plastic.

As for longevity in foil??? Not sure, but I was given a box of assorted elk steaks/strips/burger, all wrapped in plastic & then butcher paper. It lasted for years, one package for at least 5-6 years hidden in my freezer, with no perceptible taste/texture decline.

Back