Freezing meat question

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
My local meat store is having a pretty good sale this week. Boston Port Roast (PB no bone) for $189lb. Spares for $1.99lb and Baby back ofr $3.99lb. I'm hoping the bone in pb is reduced accordingly. These prices are all about $1.00lb off normal. Should I pork up and freeze? Any suggestions appreciated.

Is this a rhetorical post?
icon_wink.gif

I'd say yes.

Scott: Not really. I have never frozen pb before and wasn't sure if much was lost in the freezing/thawing process. I guess it really does sound like a dumb question.

I'm also getting a natural turkey for turkey day at .99lb. Not frozen, so I will pick it up on the 21st, brine, refrig to dry and smoke on Thursday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Rickert:
Scott: Not really. I have never frozen pb before and wasn't sure if much was lost in the freezing/thawing process. I guess it really does sound like a dumb question.

I'm also getting a natural turkey for turkey day at .99lb. Not frozen, so I will pick it up on the 21st, brine, refrig to dry and smoke on Thursday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's no such thing as a dumb question, and I apologize if I came across with a snide attitude.

There will be a little loss in quality of the meat as there is in any normal (sans flashing) freezing process...(the forming ice crystals puncturing and thus damaging the cells; etc)

My point was for the price...I would snatch up as much as you could...at least I would.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Scott. I didn't take your remark as snide or anything other than an astute observation. Actually, I had a good laugh. I didn't explain my question well.

I am going to stock up. I've got two refrigs but both freezers are fairly full. I can probably clean out some stuff and make about as much room as I can afford.

One of our local chains had pork shoulder twin packs in cryovac for 99 cents per pound and they were really large - about a total of 20 lbs. I got one yesterday and may get another before the sale ends. I freeze directly in the cryovac. They do require a lot of space - solution: COOK MO' BUTT
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Back