Freezing meat (Butts)

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Just curious as to how long Butts frozen in the normal Store "packaging", not vacuum packed will last in the freezer ?

That's of course uncooked in the standard store pckaging.

They can easily freezer burn so not long. It depends on the actual packaging but most use wraps that are not impermeable. Either vac yourself or at the very least wrap over the package several times with Saran or the like.

Kevin

Thanks

I can wrap with the Saran wrap as you suggest.

I will probably be cooking these 2 butts in about 2-3 weeks.

At $.89 per lb at the local Giant foods store, thinking about buying 2 or 4 more for the freezer.

If the cryo is intact a year, two years, maybe even longer, especially if the freezer is not a frost-free model.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
how long would you say they'd keep in the cryo pacs, kevin? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
If the cryo is intact a year, two years, maybe even longer, especially if the freezer is not a frost-free model. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As Kevin said, easily a year in cryo or vac sealed. I lost a cryo brisket flat in the freezer for a little over 2 years, cooked it up and never knew the difference.
icon_wink.gif

I have often found that stores receive butts in 2-butt cryovac packs, which they then open and repackage singly. Ask someone behind the meat counter if they can get you an unopened 2-butt package, weigh and price it. Then you can freeze the meat in the cryovac packaging.

Larry D.

Good idea.

I had just come home with 2 butts I got on sale, which were in the "standard" store pacakaging. When I posted this, already too late ?

Maybe I will go back before the sale ends and try to get the Cryovac packaging as you indicate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
if you belong to costco they sell the double butt cryos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As well as BJ's and Sam's clubs, but they don't have them for $0.89 a lb. like Giant does this week.
icon_wink.gif

As a side note, don't forget that most meat from a "grocery store" will have been enhanced with some sort of salt water injection. That can really throw off a recipe and leave the meat tasting "hammy".

The couple of times that I had to cook enhanced butts, I pulled all salt from the rub and upped the sugar just a bit, but I still wasn't in love with the result.

Back