Freezing brisket leftovers

Chris Mason

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to be doing a brisket (whole packer) for the Super Bowl and it's starting to look like the number of people who can come won't be enough to eat the whole thing. I have a Food Saver and have had great success sealing and freezing left over pulled pork and turkey breasts for later consumption. But I know brisket is less forgiving and I have read that it basically starts to dry out as soon as you cut into it. So I guess I am wondering...

...should I slice the whole thing and seal/freeze any remaining slices or...

...should I only slice what I need as I serve it and seal/freeze the left overs as one big chunk?

Also, should I treat the flat and the point any differently? I've seen suggestions to just chop the point up and serve it with sauce as opposed to slicing it.

As always, any comments are welcome and appreciated.

PS - This is actually my first brisket so here's hoping it's even worth saving!

Chris,
In the crowd I hang out with just 3 of us can finish off a packer without any issues and look for seconds...........

What you do with the point is up to you, you can chop, slice (as many Q joints were I live do), or cube and make some burnt ends.

When vacuum bagging for freezing I prefer to either slice or chop/pull with sauce. Then I'll put together some 1LB bags which I view as single serving. The idea being that they are ready for service on one of those days when you are running late.

Don't worry over the brisket, and check out the high heat method in the beef recipe section. If you follow a good procedure you'll make an excellent brisket.

I like cutting some nice slices and carefully putting them in a foodsaver bag then sealing. It really is a nice way to do it if you have a vacum sealer. Before I had a vaccum sealer there wasnt a real good soloution for this. Brisket is hard enough to keep moist so I'd do it as soon after cutting as possible to keep as much moisture as possible.

That's two votes for sealing them sliced. Thanks, Tom.

I think what I'll do is slice it as needed during the party, keeping it covered so it stays at least a little warm/moist when not serving. Then if there's anything left, I will slice it and seal it immediately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Mason:
I'm going to be doing a brisket (whole packer) for the Super Bowl and it's starting to look like the number of people who can come won't be enough to eat the whole thing. I have a Food Saver and have had great success sealing and freezing left over pulled pork and turkey breasts for later consumption. But I know brisket is less forgiving and I have read that it basically starts to dry out as soon as you cut into it. So I guess I am wondering...

...should I slice the whole thing and seal/freeze any remaining slices or...

...should I only slice what I need as I serve it and seal/freeze the left overs as one big chunk? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's how I do it, works great IMO. Link to a post on vac sealing brisket.

Back