"Freebie" Silver Giant BBQ Restoral

Marty in Toronto

TVWBB Member
I watch Kijiji regularly for BBQ bargains.

I jumped on this one - fortunately I was the first to respond- I had to travel about an hour to pick it up - dragged my younger son along - we had to disassemble the BBQ and carry the parts down a flight of deck stairs to get it to fit in my wife's Honda Odyssey (with the middle seats taken out and the rear seats folded into the floor).

A bit of background - there are a couple of Canadian made "Commercial" Gas BBQ's that go for $2,500 and up that occasionally surface on the "BBQ For Sale" forums & both Crown Verrity and Silver Giant get great reviews. They are a bit spartan in features and somewhat odd in appearance vs the mainstream consumer Weber, Napoleon and Broil King products...they are built like tanks with the majority of the parts being 304 stainless. For original purchasers most of the components carry a lifetime warranty.

I managed to scoop a 36" 90K BTU three burner Silver Giant LP BBQ that's approx 25 years old. One structural steel bar that the heat plates fit into was pretty well rotted out and the BBQ had about 5 years worth of baked on grease that had to be removed. The burners are solid brass, weigh about 10 lbs each and are in decent condition.

Unfortunately when I called the manufacturer's parts department and sent them a couple of pictures of the rusted support rail - I was told that they had changed the design of the BBQ and no parts were available. A retrofit to the new design would have been hundreds of dollars more than the BBQ was worth.
Their best advice was to "MacGyver something"

I picked up a piece of 4 foot x inch angle iron at Lowes and got to work with my angle grinder and drill.

Total investment less than $100 CAD plus 2 partial weekends of my labour.

I cleaned all the years of baked on grease using 2 litres of commercial grill cleaner (restaurant strength sodium hydroxide) $5 a gallon jug at Costco Business Outlet in Toronto and my powerwasher.

Here's the before picturesIMG_20200601_093400.jpgIMG_20200601_093339.jpg

Last edited:

Back