Free

Brandon Pilkington

TVWBB Member
Picked this up this morning. The person wanted 40 bucks originally and ended up dropping it down to 15 so I went to take a look. After looking at it I noticed a bad side panel in the firebox, so I told him I'd pass on it due to that. He ended up asking if I'd take it for free and I decided to take it because I could use the parts for other projects.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201017-103913_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-103913_Messenger.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 38
Free is "almost" always a great deal. I agree, if you use a single part off that grill, it is a steal. And I see several that would be great transfers to other grills.

Oh, heck that is the old grill out handle light. That makes the grill a great deal right there if it works.

I don't know. Couldn't you have gotten him to come down a little more :coolkettle: ?

LOL, that's a great deal, and I am sure will yield plenty of parts. If that handle light still works, that alone is worth quite a bit. If still good, just swap out the bulbs with LED ones and experiment with the batteries. You may have to put them in backwards since LED is unidirectional regarding current. You will have a really nice handle for your favorite classic Genesis!

It doesn't work, but it had a set of stainless steel flavor bars that I am putting in a genesis gold I'm working on so that's already paying off. The wheels are surprisingly in good shape and I know I'll need them at some point.

I wouldn't be too quick to give up on that handle light. It might be worth disassembling and giving it a good try. They are pretty much non-existant now except for occasional appearances on eBay - often way overpriced.

The handle light is basically a flashlight. Not a lot of moving parts. Unless the batteries leaked all over everything, I am thinking it is repairable.

I'll take it apart and see...mainly the issue seems to be it is cracked in a few spots pretty bad, didn't notice any corrosion from the batteries upon inspection.

I thought I saw a video where user replaced it with a wooden handle using the same end caps

Oh, sure that is just a round wood dowel. As long as it is the same diameter as the grill out light, it would work fine to just keep the two brackets from the light. One good thing is that it would keep the handle a bit lower and further from the grill which will keep it a little cooler.

Back