Frame paint options?

DaveF in IL

TVWBB Member
Starting to think about my upcoming Gen5000 restoration. Just for the heck of it, I'd like to do it as nicely as possible.

Has anyone ever done anything other than rattle-can paint on the frame before? I have an air sprayer that I've used to paint cars and things like that before and I'm thinking that might actually be easier than spray paint, especially since I'm noticing that the 5000 has quite a few more parts that need to be painted than my previous Silver B restores (like the rear panels, all the hardware for the folding trays, z-bars, etc).

That got me wondering if there's any high-heat paints that would provide a more durable finish than regular spray paint. I know when painting cars you can sometimes add hardeners and things like that. Has anyone ever done anything like that with a grill frame?

I realize this is probably overkill, but if I'm going to put a lot of time into it it would be nice to see it last as long as possible. I might end up doing some of the rust encapsulation products inside the frame as well depending on the condition there.

Yeah, it's really 2 things: with all the parts on the 5000 it seems like you could go through a bunch of spray cans which is a hassle, plus it would be interesting to know if spraying something like what you linked would lead to a better or more durable finish. Hard to know if the finish when that is sprayed would be any different than rattle cans or not.

I've seen a few references to people powder-coating frames, but that's probably way more hassle to prep and then to find someone who will do it.

Not sure since I don't own a sprayer whether it puts a better finish than the spray cans I would think so but really the key to all these paints is do not rush to put everything together, let the paint cure for 7 days then reassemble.

As a general rule painting with a gun gives a much more solid finish than spraycans. Around these parts of the world high-heat paint is in short supply, but if you have access to good paint go for it.

The frame really won't be getting any high heat, so I'd think that high heat paint wouldn't be necessary for the frame. Given your apparent knowledge about painting, you could basically do whatever you want to it. Only question would be color matching to the high heat paint needed for the end caps and the grill box.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that all the "high heat" paints that most of us use come in regular cans as well as rattle cans, so you could still go that route if you want to.

Dave, I was thinking if he was going the spray gun route why not just spray the frame, the firebox and lid caps using the qt cans of the Krylon or Rusto. I don't know how far a quart goes in a spray gun pretty much prep everything then spray it all at once and be done with it.

Dave, I was thinking if he was going the spray gun route why not just spray the frame, the firebox and lid caps using the qt cans of the Krylon or Rusto. I don't know how far a quart goes in a spray gun pretty much prep everything then spray it all at once and be done with it.

I'd think he could. From what I understand, you'd add a bit of some kind of thinner.

I was leaving open the possibility that he might know of some other paint that's more resilient.

Just to be clear, I'm no painting expert. I've sprayed a few things with a compressor and relatively inexpensive spray gun before, that's all.

Basically just checking to see if anyone has ever tried anything other than spraypaint cans for the frame or box. Sounds like no at this point. I might give it a go anyway and of course if so I will report back with what I find!

Thanks for all the input.

I'd like to do it as nicely as possible.

I would recommend powder coating the frame and all parts if I were to ever find one of these and planned to keep it.
For the endcaps and firebox, I would just use rattle can hi-temp. VHT makes a good product.

Just to be clear, I'm no painting expert. I've sprayed a few things with a compressor and relatively inexpensive spray gun before, that's all.

Basically just checking to see if anyone has ever tried anything other than spraypaint cans for the frame or box. Sounds like no at this point. I might give it a go anyway and of course if so I will report back with what I find!

Thanks for all the input.

I think someone here might have been Stefan used the rusto in a can and used a roller on the firebox and end caps certainly would put down a lot more paint not sure how it held up over time but maybe they will chime in.

Back