Four hour rule and injections?

Paulie

Ok, so I've been smoking for a few years now, but last night I came across this rule online looking at recipes for pork butt.

Apparently, once you puncture a whole muscle hunk of meat (with an injection), it has to be heated to 140F+ in four hours?

First I've heard of this. I know the danger zone is 40-140F, but doesn't cooking the butt to 200F kinda kill everything? I know some guys inject the night before and put the meat in the fridge.

I'm just a little confused.

Thanks!

I have never heard that. If you are keeping the injected meat in the fridge below 40 degrees I think you would be fine. I have injected brisket/butts and left them in fridge for 12 hours before smoking.

If you check out the Sticky: the Kruger Food Safety Compilation at the top of this forum, you'll probably find the definitive answer to a question that I'd only be guessing.

Yea I heard that before. And some don't stick a meat probe in until after a few hours to make sure that any surface bacteria has been cooked off.
There is plenty of pre-pumped injected meat out there in the grocery isles so as long as you cook it to safe temps I wouldn't worry at all.

Tim

Back