Found my SSP!

Samuel, you certainly have a project on your hands,
but you can turn that cooker into a looker with a little
bit of work. The ash catcher is obsolete so you will need
to wire the ash pan holder back to the bowl. The frame
supports can be replaced with new tubing. As long as the
regulator hose still works you can restore it for chump change.
All the important parts are there - red kettle/ lid, charcoal
storage holder, small LP tank, stainless top. I have restored
several of these. Holler if you need any help.

Thanks Dave,
Any advice is greatly appreciated since this is 1st time I have attempted to restore an SSP.
The Red Bowl has a huge hole in it so I will not be using that. The lid has blemishes but is salvageable. I do have a green bowl and lid I could use in their place if needed but I would like to find another red bowl.
I am missing the Front Plate but I believe the previous owner gave me the weber badge. I do have the other rod not show in the picture. I was given both cross members along with 5/16 x 72" threaded rod which I installed with crossmember shown in the pic. May have been a mistake on my part for there was what appeared to be 1/4" holes already present I just enlarged them for the 5/16 all thread. I am going to have to redo the rod part and put an insert into the crossmember and run the rod again through to align everything better.
The Tank is the old style quick connect but I found someone locally who said they may be able to recertify my tank and update the valve. I was tipped on a source to a replacement end to my hose to accommodate the new valve assembly.
I was given the OEM ash catcher ring but not the bowl. I think I have a replacement bowl but not a handle. And the new handles usually do not fit on the old-style bowls.
One mod I would like to attempt is to install the green lid with the OEM plastics. Since the lid is the newer taco shell lid type and I would like to use the OEM classic style plastic on it. I thought I saw this done my JulesV on the WKC but he did it what looked like wooden handles. What I am thinking is it would be nice to have the OEM colored plastics on the newer style lid and bowl.
I am also in need of 1 OEM plastic bail lid holder. I only have one side. I am not sure if he gave me both and one just fell off during transport for the bail was not bolted in on one side when I got home.
Thanks Again, Any and All help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I've flipped a few of those but couldn't let the wire baskets go! Nice find it will turn out great.

I like the green and it seems to be in nice shape. I'm sure you aren't going to go to the trouble of making the rest of it nice only to use a beat up kettle on it.

Back