Found an unusual Weber 5000

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a Weber 5000 NG this weekend, perma-mount, original owner. I have been hunting a long time.

The unicorn has an interesting provenance: The owner lives about 2 minutes from the original Weber factory (now the Weber parts store I was told). He wandered in at closing one day, saw it and wanted to buy it; it was a display model, and he was able to get it at a great price. The Weber guys lifted it up onto a pickup, followed him home, and delivered it for his house. He had the manual in pristine condition. The 5000 has maroon stripes on the gray lid, but there are white stripes on the smoked doors. Maybe it was mismatched at the showroom? IDK.

He couldn't remember the year he bought it but said 25 years probably. So maybe the 5000 is mid 90s? I recall that was the era when Weber switched the way serial #s were assigned? Serial starts with PMN (for permanent mount I am guessing). Of course I can't make out the next 4 digits. I think I read something about this change in the Forum on "Deciphering serial numbers."

Wood Slats are shot, but lid, cookbox and side panels are in great shape but SS internals on their last legs. Has all the swing table hardware, no rust except the usual cookbox bolt area. Burner has a bad valve or something, knob was melted. I haven't started the forensics yet hopefully its an easy fix, like a spider nest clog.

Would really like to convert it back to a wheeled chassis, it looks like all I will need is to scavenge a 3 or 4000 frame.

Anyway here's some pics:

Weber 5000 A.jpg

Weber 5000 B.jpg

Weber 5000 closeup.jpg

You know I guess I could try and attach casters to the tabs that are used to bolt the rig to your deck or patio. You can see one in the last picture. I will take a hard look at that - good idea Larry thx.

That would be a nice fix. I think, however, if you did opt for a replacement frame there might be some interested in buying that permamount frame.

First permamount 5000 I have seen. Nice. I think if you swap frames you will still have to do a little modding to accomodate the glass doors. Good luck with that and keep us posted on where you take it and how it goes.

Tony,
Great story and even more importantly great find!

Weber labeled this a 5500 series model to denote a permanent mount model vs the 5000 with the casters.
Don't worry about the maroon pinstripes on the lid and the white pinstripes on the smoked glass. All the 5000/5500 models come that way.

Do post pics along the way of your restore.

Jeff

The Genesis 5500 used PMN for the NG designation and PMK for the propane designation.

Back