Found a WSM treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
I was at work yesterday looking at smokers on the web when one of my co-workers saw a picture of a WSM. He asked me if I wanted one, turns out when he bought his house, the previous owner left one sitting on the back deck, where it has been unused for at least five years (since he bought the house). After collecting myself, I went over to inspect it and found a WSM with a wooden handle, a diamond pattern on the door, and significant rust to the grates (probably unusable) and some rust to the body. The lid slips down over the body instead of sitting into it (if that makes any sense) like my two current WSM's. The thing is, I was unable to find a stamp on any of the vents and am trying to figure out the age. Naturally, I thanked him profusely and will relieve him of it tomorrow. I can e-mail some digital pics (i don't know how to post them) if that will help. I posted on Mr. Basso's forum and didn't get many responses, but I failed to mention that I couldn't find the stamp. Thanks in advance. Oh, and any suggestion in getting the rust off of the body would be great.

You lucky, lucky boy. Not only that you scored a free WSM (well almost free after you replace the grates), but that you already have two.
Here's the link to Chris' section on dating your WSM dating WSM. It says that some were manufactured without a date code. Sorry I can't help beyond that.

Well I just picked it up. Still can't find a serial number but what's funny is the guy who owned it had the grate and water pan rack installed upside down, so nothing fits right. It probably didn't work right and he left it sit. It has some knicks that are rusting, anybody have any suggestions to deal with that?

Try some Navel Jelly on the rust. If that doesn't work, light sanding. They use high temp grill paint on the affected areas. It should be fine. If you don't think it looks good enough when you get through, I'll tell you where you can send it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what's funny is the guy who owned it had the grate and water pan rack installed upside down, so nothing fits right <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this why the lid fits outside the cooking section - sure that's not the wrong way up too..
Perhaps Weber messed up and put the vents & legs on the lid etc, or just a handle on a charcoal section?? Good luck.

I don't know how to post a pic, but I have some that I will glady e-mail you. I don't know about the legs on the lid.

Ok, I am a freaking moron (I have been told that it takes character to admit when you have been this foolish...lol). Im going to blame it on the excitement of getting a free WSM, but the guy had the body on upside down, I was just to worked up to notice. Thanks to James M-B for pointing out the obvious to everyone but me.

Well, now that you've got that straightened out, fire up that old warhorse and get it back in service! It has been sitting around unappreciated for too long.
icon_biggrin.gif

Im still waiting for the day the BBQ gods smile down upon me the way they have you. Christmas came early for you my friend.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. I fired it up yesterday and it ran like a champ. Built a hot fire and then scraped all of the crud out of it. Didn't cook anything, going to wait until the new grates come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back