Forgot to remove the fat cap!

Tom in VA

TVWBB Member
Da*&$%,

Did somehting stupid & forgot to remove the fat cap last night. I'm gonna lose one side of that barky goodness.

Anybody else done something stupid when cooking lately?

Tom

I don't remove the fat cap either, only trim off the hard fat if any is present. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the results Tom!

Where are you located in Virginia??

HMMMM.....

Do you just mix it in with the meat when you pull it or discard it?

I have always removed the fat cap so I don't know what to do with it.

Thanks,

Tom

I eat some--can't resist--and the rest I chop finely and add, as needed, as I pull/chop the rest, depending on moisture/fat content present.

Thanks,

I'm getting ready to take them off the smoker so that will some in handy. And I thought I had screwed up.

Larry, sorry got people coming over and doing too many things, didn't read the whole post - I'm in New Kent. Bealeton? I kind of thought that was up near Leesburg but that may be me just me thinking that, where is is?

Thanks for your input...

Tom

If your talking Butts, NEVER remove the fat cap, and here's why.
There's a very thin piece of meat that lies under the false cap and on top of the true fat cap. Now let me tell you that when your butt is done cooking and after the rest and you got to pull it here is where you will be rewarded for your efforts. I consider this the cooks reward and I hardly ever share it. Gently push the false fat cap aside with your thumb to expose that very thin layer of meat that is sitting on top of the true fat cap and quickly eat it while no one is looking. Trust me you will be eating Pork Butt Nirvana.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom in VA:
Thanks,

I'm getting ready to take them off the smoker so that will some in handy. And I thought I had screwed up.

Larry, sorry got people coming over and doing too many things, didn't read the whole post - I'm in New Kent. Bealeton? I kind of thought that was up near Leesburg but that may be me just me thinking that, where is is?

Thanks for your input...

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bealeton is between Warrenton and Culpeper, it's that tiny dot on the map!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anybody else done something stupid when cooking lately? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LarryR here, yes I've done something stupid, I dumped coals in my WSM in flip flops on and wasn't careful, dumped one on the lawn and almost stepped on the sucker. Man that would have hurt!

Back