Forgive me WSM owners i Have sinned

StevenKing

Well while getting my 18 loaded last night with a packer and pork butt I dropped my lid. Now I could have dropped it in the dirt, flat on concrete or the edge of the concrete. Yup I found the edge, not very dented but 5 inch gash to bare metal. I was so annoied with myself because it was my fault.
I have 4 derative fence panels that surround my WSM to protect my pooch and the local animals which negates me using the cool idea of hanging the lid via the handle. Well what can I say sheat happens and it sure happened.
Happy Labor Day everyone! Cook safe!

I've also seen the neat trick of hanging the lid by the plastic handle. I tried it. Once. Never again.

My lid did not fall off, but just seeing the movement in the plastic made me think "This is going to break quite fast".

Seems more like a catastrophe worthy of our condolences than a sin. I share your pain -- my Performer lid has a big bare spot as well.

Well at least now it's really "Broke in" I knocked my lid off the table a couple of months after I got it, landed on the vent leaving a nice little dent and jamming the vent cover, after some cussing I took a small rubber mallet and worked it back into shape works great and looks good, they will survive.

Yea its all good, I appreciate the supprt everyone. Trying to talk the wife into another WSM, yeah go big or go home right? It is going to be tough, I have a blue kettle lid showing up next week for my UDS.

Oh the brisket was great, not to thrilled with my Carolina rub on my Butt though but I guess I will try again :wsm:

Last edited:
When I got my WSM in 2005 it had a few chips on the edge of the top. Of course Weber shipped me a new one, but I did not want to wait and used the chipped one. After the first smoke it had a nice smoke/grease coating and I never would have known it was chipped to the bare metal. 7 years later that same dome is still on the WSM and the replacement one Weber shipped me is in storage.

It should be fine.

Thanks David, I appreciate it and I wish it was all on the inside but sadly its not. I have given it a cooking earl rub down to the scratch/dent area. Not too concerned about it. I try and keep my smoker inside and when prepped for a cook I try and cover it. I may buy a new lid for it just for it in time and then start to build another smoker. Lots more expensive but cant just throw a WSM lid away right? :p

Last edited:

Back