??? for those of you w/ both a gas and charcoal grill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig G.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a Webber gas grill (probably an S-310). I already have a kettle (had it for about 8 years at least). Was curious to those of you that have both already do you lean more toward your gas or charcoal grill. My family mainly does the old burger/hot dog/chicken thing on the grill. Most everything else goes on the WSM.

I'd like to get a s-310 gas grill and keep it super clean, and use it like an outdoor oven.

Steaks and meats can go on the kettle and/or in the WSM. The gas grill will be for pizzas without smoke flavoring, breads, casseroles, maybe even an attempt to bake a cake.

I thought i might get a weber gasser myself,I have a kettle made in 1999, still holding up good. I also have a homemade smoker, also works very well. Thought about a weber gasser as well, to keep things warm or if the wether is toooo <span class="ev_code_BLUE">COLD</span>to wait for the charcoal to do it' thing.

Years ago, I got a small gasser cuz the wife didn't want to mess with starting up charcoal and the kids just wanted their hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken quick.

I've got a 310 as well as a kettle and wsm, and they all get used a fair amount. In the winter it's nice to use the gas because it's so fast and easy. It's also great for those who don't like the smoke flavour from the kettle or wsm. My wife is one of those strange people who don't like it, so I do a lot of chicken and veggies on the gasser for her.

I have a EP-320, two kettles, performer and WSM.

They all get used quite a bit. WSM obviously for smoking. The EP-320 vs. the kettles, just depends. If i'm cooking say one piece of pork chop, or steak, or two breasts, I just turn the gasser on. Pop a beer, wait, then cook them. it's way too easy. If i'm doing anything more, I'll bust out the kettle. It all depends on what mood I am that day. If I want super high heat for anything, it's the kettles.

it's all about time and weather for me.
During the winters here i can only stand the cold here for short period of time, so it's the gasser in winter, kettle in the summer/warmer months.

I've got (3) 22" kettles, an 18", a SS Performer, 2 Smokey Joes.

I've also got two Weber gassers, a 2-burner and a 3-burner. Both have been rebuilt with all SS guts.

I'm giving away the two-burner. With the Performer, I don't even think about using it. I either use the Performer or a Smokey Joe. The kettles are used for either competition, cooking for a party or at our second home.

Craig,

I recently (April) went the opposite direction. After 13 years using a Weber 900 I got a new performer. I find myself using the performer 90% of the time. With that said, the old gasser is still a tremendous asset. Side dishes, warming oven, or just a place to store things until you need them. Go for it, you will find a use for both of them!

Thanks for the replies. I'm a bit shocked that the kettle is better for high heat. I would have thought the gassers would get a better high heat. If that is the case then I'll stick w/ my current setup (18.5" black kettle). Very hard to justify a $500-700 gasser as just an outdoor oven...esp. when I have a oven in the kitchen
icon_smile.gif

My main thought here is that I'd probably grill more stuff since I won't have to mess with charcoal. Plus I have 2 full propane bottles sitting in my garage b/c of my wife's addition to boiled crawfish
icon_smile.gif

Better solution (and I have a couple of Weber gassers - a Genesis Silver B and a Q220 - both of which I enjoy and cook on occasionally) - spend $34 and get you a propane weed burner torch to light your charcoal. You can have your charcoal lit and your kettle up to 500 degrees and start backing it off by the time the gasser gets up to temperature!

Pat

Agreed that the weather and how quickly I need to cook play the biggest factor. Also the length of cooking time. I probably use my gasser 60% of the time.

Bought used Silver B of CL last year, had it 6 months and only used it once (just to try it) and ended up selling it to my office for what I paid so we could use it there. I just prefer charcoal and gas just didn't do it for me. I'm sticking with the Performer.

For me, its charcoal all the way. My gasser is actually less convenient as the charcoal starts up fast with a weed burner. Ok, I guess I am using gas to start the charcoal ... Anyway, I am glad I have a gasser, but I would recommend getting a used one. I bought my 10 year old weber on CL for 50 bucks, and it works great.

WSM + kettle + gasser = the perfect setup. I use the WSM for barbecue, the kettle for grilling, and the gasser for the odd hot dog, hamburger, or last minute cook.

I've got a one gasser - a Q320 - and 5 charcoal 'things' - A WSM, MasterTouch, Performer, SJS and GA.

The Q320 is a really excellent grill, but I almost exclusively use the charcoal grills, which is why I just bought a performer. If a day goes by without me grilling I feel a bit bad. I like to take the portable grills with me when we travel, but I also use them at home because they're fun and so I keep up how to use them.

-Mark.

A weed burnder....excellent. You know my chruch has one for the big trailer smoker/pit we have and I never though to getting one for the house.

It's on now. I hate having to wait 20-30 minutes for charcoal to lite. **** I can use it in my WSM too... and I can actually use all this propane I have.

Big thumbs up to you guys on that one...and a slap in the head to me for not thinking of this years ago.

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Agreed that the weather and how quickly I need to cook play the biggest factor. Also the length of cooking time. I probably use my gasser 60% of the time.

Let me clarify that. 6 out of 10 times I use gas. The amount of time spent using charcoal is probably double that of gas.

I have both and if i'm in a hurry, I use one of my gassers. If not, I use the charcoal. Both of my gassers came from CL and I fixed them up with new parts. I tend to use the three burner Genesis 1000 the most but I do use the Silver A for smaller cooks.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back