??? for those of you w/ both a gas and charcoal grill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Craig G.:
It's on now. I hate having to wait 20-30 minutes for charcoal to lite.
Multi-task.

While the coals are firing up, I go back inside to finish prep work.

I know this discussion is a bit old, but I have been using both a Genesis 1000 gasser and a 22-1/2 kettle for years. Weekdays after work it is often the gasser....pork chops, burger, pork tenderloin. Light the burners, go inside, prep the potatoes, get the stove going and then go back tune in the dials and finish the cook. Nothing fancy, but a real efficient way to put dinner on the table and still have that Q flavor.
Weekends however, when it is time for a load of chicken, ribs, roasts, now we are talking kettle (and just recently WSM) and a love affair with the process of low and slow. That is my 2 cents. They work hand in hand

I have used the charcoal Webers all winter for many years, but this spring I picked up a Q200.

I like the convience of a gasser for when you are short on time, but I perfer the charcoal kettles. However, I plan on picking up a Genises before winter, because I am too old to play around with charcoal on a 10 degree day.

Craig
I have a OTS, OTG, Performer, Q120, Q220, Genesis E320 and a Traeger 075 Pellet Grill.
I use The Q220 about 70% of the time and the Genesis 30% of the time during the week and the Kettles/Performer/Traeger of a weekend, Its all about convenience and the type of dishes that you cook. I tend to grill during the week more than anything else. I can light, preheat, do the prep, cook and clean down the Q220 and have the food on the table in 20 minutes during the week, I can do Tandoori Lamb or Chicken in about 30-35 minutes and a butterflied leg of lamb in 35 minutes.

It all depends on what you want to cook and how much time you have. As for taste whilst there is a difference it is not a deal breaker.

Cheers

I use charcoal 99.9% of the time. The .1% of the time I'm using gas, it's to light my charcoal. I feel dirty when I even think about using gas. God bless those of you that can use it in good conscience. LOL :p

My almost 12 year old gasser (not a Weber) is going to the dump. It got a LOT of use over its life, so no regrets. But fully a charcoal user now. Lighting the charcoal in the chimney seems to take only a few minutes longer than warming up the gas grill. And the cooking on the OTG seems so much more predictable than it was on gas. I used to try low and slow on the gas with a smoker box, but after getting a WSM last Christmas, I realize now what fool-hardiness that was!

I once had an oven in the house.....

Actually, we had a built-in wall oven go haywire and instead of replacing it, we just invested in charcoal. 2 bags a week for over a year. We figured we used 3/4 ton of charcoal that year. We cooked every day without exception. Put the Weber on the lee of the house. Had the police stop by once when they thought my front porch was on fire. Grilling at 35 below never crossed their minds. They were licking the lips when they left, however.

I retired that 22" kettle to the hunting shack when it turned 30 years old and replaced it with a blue one-touch 22", and a 3 burner spirit. I have had the gasser for 5 years now and am only on the second twenty pound tank but it does come in handy at times. Now my OTG will get jealous of the mini-WSM.

Cook on, on whatever you have, and savor the flavor of seared meat and veggies.

I have both Natural gas and charcoal. I perfer to cook on charcoal but my wife does not care for it. So usually i have both going at the same time. Charcoal for me and my son, gas for my wife and daughter. It's a win-win for me. No mater which one I am cooking on everyone is happy. You can't beat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back