For the rehab guys

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
If you had a nice Silver B or Genesis 1000 all rehabbed and ready to go, how much more would you charge to add a #9890 Rotisserie as an add on?

I have my #9891 and now have three #9890 rotos. I plan to keep the #9891 and one of the #9890's. But I would like to offer the other two of them to my grill buyers as add ons. I am just not sure how much I should ask. One is brand new, still in the unopened box and one was supposedly used once which could be true, but they didn't bother to clean it after that one use. I can do that however and make it look nearly new.

I have a Silver C almost done and a buyer waiting on it since he lost out on the one that I just sold today. I am going to ask $250 for the grill (Silver C with extra burner). I was thinking offering the used (but cleaned up) roto for an extra $50 to make it an even $300. I would throw in an empty 20lb propane tank as a bonus as well?

Let me know what you all think.

$50 was my first thought before I finished reading your post. Great minds run in the same...:confused:

I might hold out for a little more for the unused one in the box. Maybe package it with a tank and one of those wood scrapers to make an upgrade with more doodads!

On the almost new rotisserie, maybe you can print out a manual for it. That can make it seem more like new. I like to print out the Weber manual for my rehabbed grills and put it in a big ziplock bag. It feels a little like handing over the keys to the car:cool:!

Oh, yah, good ideas Jon. And I sold that grill this afternoon and forgot to put one of those Wood scrapers with it. Oh well. Thanks for the thoughts and opinions.

The 9890 roti I got the dude threw in for $20, I think I made out. With an empty tank and manual, I think $40 or $50 is super reasonable to ask.

Got a question on the rotisseries. Friend of mine has the #9891 which he likes but this thing seems to be a bit of pain to clean from what I was told. I have the #9890 which is good ad well. And easy to clean. Mine still has the wooden handle and the counterweight. I have even used it for a medium size turkey on my Silver B. But with the #9890 you always have to use cooking twine to tie up wings and legs on any bird. You don't have to do that with a basket of the #9891. Plus the basket allows for at least two chickens. This can be tricky on the #9890.
Which one do you prefer? I know the #9891 is no longer available but one can still find them on ebay once a while.
Also is the bracket and motor the same for both?

Bracket and motor are the same. I guess it is a toss up. The basket style is great for things like chickens. The skewer one is better for other stuff. That is why I am keeping one of each. I would say that if I had to get rid of one, it would probably be the basket. Probably a little less versatile and harder to clean. But, it it does have clear advantages in some situations.

One HUGE advantage of the basket type is your food does not get extra heat induced "internally" artificially shortening the cook time and sometimes so much you don't get that nice caramelized exterior. I would LOVE a basket style over the rod style any day. As for cleaning, that's why God gave us dishwashers

I much prefer the 9890, and I don't mind trussing. I also have both, and cleaning the basket is such a pain that I'd rather just truss. I can only imagine my wife's pure pleasure if I were to put the basket in the dishwasher! I clean and store the rotisserie stuff in "my" slop sink / fridge area in the basement, right down a bilco door from where the grill is so everybody is happy :)

Larry, I have run mine through the dishwasher and it does a less than acceptable job, IMO. I could be my cheapo dishwasher, but nothing beats some steel wool and soap.

I have the 9891 it does have limitations on what you can put on it and it is a pain to clean. I would love to have a 9890 shaft and forks for bigger thinks like turkeys and roasts, but don't want to buy a set as I already have three motors.

I figure whatever the dwasher leaves behind was meant to stay there and I don't worry about it LOL

Back