Football Food - Wings and ABTs

Sean H

TVWBB Pro
On Saturday, I needed to make some food to eat while watching the Gators take it to the Seminoles in Tallahassee, so I settled on some wings and ABTs.

The wings were marinated, then rubbed with Penzey's Barbecue of the Americas, and cooked on the kettle. I started them in small batches over direct heat, then filled up the "cool" side of the grill with the seared wings.

Here's the first set of wings to get seared:

8219439358_db80f281ee.jpg

I also pressed my mini-WSM into service to cook the ABTs:

8219440358_d81865acb3.jpg

This is the first time I've cooked with it since I made it, and it worked out pretty well. I'm pretty sure the thermometer was not measuring the at-grate temps at both grates, but it still worked really well. I'm guessing I had uniform temps throughout the cooker, since the ABTs on the bottom and top racks were cooked to the same level. Here's a shot of the ABTs. They were the standard, simple ABTs -- jalapenos, filled with a cream cheese/BBQ rub mix and a smoky sausage, and wrapped in bacon. One of these days I'm going to get a little more fancy with them.

8218360427_706de58908.jpg

The finished ABTs:

8218361393_838665bcc7.jpg

And the finished wings, tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce after I took them off the grill:

8219442890_54fcc303ed.jpg

These turned out really good. The wings weren't the best I've made, but they were good all the same. I think this is the best I've done with ABTs, and it's probably due to the cooker. I had always used a Smokey Joe, or a kettle grill to cook them. I seemed to get better results with the mini (I could just never justify setting up the regular WSM for an ABT cook).

Thanks for looking. I'll post more pics again soon!

Great job on the wings and ABT's, Sean!

Your mini will be getting a lot of use in the future!:)

I watched some of that game, but i didn't have that good eatin' stuff you did! Nice looking football food!

Back