Foodsaver or Snorkelvac?

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
For some odd reason my wife asked for a chest freezer which shall become a Christmas present (for me!).

I got to thinking about vacuum sealing. My initial concern is the high price of bags. Reading up on some other BBQ forums I saw a post about the:
Sorbent Systems Snorkelvac

Any comments on this system vs. the Tilia Foodsaver?

This is the one that I have, and I like it just fine. It's pretty basic as compared to the Foodsavers, but works well. It won't pull quite as low a vacuum (you can't crush soft drink cans with it), but for food sealing, it does a good job. A big plus is the relatively low cost of the bags. I've seen Foodsaver users write about washing and reusing their bags to save money, because they cost so much. The flat, non-patterned bags are a lot less expensive.

I just bought a sorbent systems vac. I really like it. I made 30 lbs of buckboard bacon and packed it in their bags. Much cheaper than the foodsaver and since they will be given away for presents, I won't be getting them back to wash and reuse.

I bought one to replace a FoodSaver because I was sick of buying expensive bags.

It's one drawback, in my opinion, is that it's a lot more finicky and hard to use than a FoodSaver. The bags have a tendency to block the snorkel and cut off the vacuum. Eventually you get a system down to make it work - and you become very happy with the price of bags
icon_smile.gif

A great, cheap source of bags for the snorkel-vac is CPT

I own the snorkel vac and agree with everything the other have said. It's harder to get used to. You really have to practice a little. Once you get it down though, the bags are so cheap that you don't think twice about using it for everything.

One of the shortcommings is that you can't zip down to Costco or Sam's and get bags. On the other hand, from the website they are so cheap you wont mind stocking up.

Back