Foodsaver Advanced for Dad's Day

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife and daughter got me the Foodsaver Advanced for Father's Day. I cannot wait to cook too much food and have leftovers for weeks!!!!!

Any rookie tips on the foodsaver? Extras I need to have to get the most benefit from it?

I've had a Foodsaver Pro III for about 6 months. It has just recently come in handy for storing/freezing pulled pork in 1lb increments. I use the small containers for storing extra rub and for storing brown sugar...very handy. I also use small containers for some bulk spices I get at Sam's Club. We've used the rolls to make bags for freezing bargain steak from Sam's as well...you'll have to watch out for the juices but you'll get the hang of it...you don't need as much "cushion" as you think. I also use the wine stoppers which have worked out well. We don't use the bags...we just get the rolls and make our own...have extra on hand.

Oh...one device that has come in handy has been the lid that fits on open coffee cans...not sure what it's called...when you re-open it it smells just like you opened it for the first time.

What hasn't worked well is the canning jar sealer...sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...I tried to use it for spices, and when it seals it seals, but it's just aggravating.

Overall, it's a great appliance to have around...you find uses for it that will fit your lifestyle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad H.:
Oh...one device that has come in handy has been the lid that fits on open coffee cans...not sure what it's called...when you re-open it it smells just like you opened it for the first time.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's the universal lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What hasn't worked well is the canning jar sealer...sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't...I tried to use it for spices, and when it seals it seals, but it's just aggravating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The seal edge of the lids needs to be very clean. Also, if the lids have been used before, sometimes opening them with a metal object puts a kink in the rim that prevents a lasting seal.

Here is a site that will give you LOTS of good tips, including how to use electrical tape tabs over pinholes in your flat canning lids to make them much easier and convenient to open without bending the edges. See the Files section. You'll need to join, but it's worth it (free).

Sometimes the rubber edges of the flat canning lids need to be re-softened in hot water to make them seal better.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FoodSaver/files/

Rita

Tried all of the aforementioned time and again with the canning lids...nothing but aggravation...
icon_frown.gif

Brad, you might try one more thing, if you haven't already. My large lid vacuum for pint and quart Mason jars works well as is, but I had to put a lid with a couple of holes drilled in it inside the small one (for half-pint jars) and I leave it there. You have to drill the holes in it or it will seal to the actual jar lid, leaving you with both lids on the jar. It's used as a spacer.

Also, have you tried putting the jar, lid, and lightly-screwed-on ring (not real tight) into a F/S canister, then vacuuming the canister? When you release the vacuum on the canister, the jar should seal.

Occasionally a lid will pop up for me too. I usually leave the jars on the counter or in the fridge and check them after a day or so to make sure they stay sealed. Sometimes they just won't stay sealed with that particular lid, but another one might work. And sometimes it's just a matter of turning the lid before trying again. Make sure the rims of your jars are not damaged too.

Rita

Back