Food Sticking to Grates

Roger P

TVWBB Member
What do you do to stop food from constantly sticking badly to the grates? Whenever I make butts, I end up having to scrape pork pieces off the grates, and I end up with torn up butts.

Is there something I should be doing, like "seasoning" the grates, with cooking spray, veg. oil, something?

I'm thinking I'm going to order 2 new grates, and try to start over. What can I do to prevent sticking with the new grates?

I often spray grates with Pam before putting them into the WSM. It helps with sticking some, and I think it even makes it a little easier to clean the grates afterwards.

Your mileage may vary.
icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Reynolds Wrap makes a non-stick foil now that works great. I use it all the time when I get ready to sauce meats and don't want the sauce dripping into my grills. Wouldn't see why you couldn't place a small piece just big enough for your butt to avoid sticking. I have the same problem, I need to try it also, just make sure and place the non-stick side up. When I use it on my kettles I wait until I'm ready to sauce before placing it on the grate. Makes clean up a breeze. Works real well when covering lasagna too.

Pam makes a "Pam for Grilling" and that's what I've been using on my WSM grates for a couple of years (top and bottom of each grate) but NOT on my gasser grates - I wipe with canola oil for those.

I also have a really wide spatula made for outdoor cooking...I think it's a Weber product. I usually use that to slide under and loosen the butts before I move them.

TIP: Set the grates on your open dishwasher door to spray them. If you have a fan on for cooling, turn it off first! Voice of experience...I have a tower fan at one end of my galley kitchen.

Rita

Another thing you can do is when your about half way through the smoke , lift the lid and give the butt a nudge so it moves an inch or so. This will loosen it it so it doesn't cook in the same spot for the long cook. I baste mine with apple juice near the end several times and I just nudge it a little.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try to get some heavy-duty oven/grill cleaner (Easy-Off type) and try to clean my grates; if I can't get them clean enough, I'm going to replace them, and start spraying with Pam before every cook. I've been in the habit of 'moving' the butts, the last couple I've done, that's helped some.

I've got cooks coming up the next 3 weekends, all of which are butts, briskets and ribs.

Roger,

Post smoke, I put my grates in a Hefty garbage bag, dump in a cup or two of ammonia and tie the bag closed. Then I let it "sun soak" in the yard for a day or two. Makes clean-up is a breeze.

Bob W.

I have a galvanized oil drip pan about 20 inches in diameter and about 4 or 5 inches high that I found at at NAPA auto parts store. I just fill it with water, squirt in some dish detergent, and throw my grates in it. By the next morning, I can easily remove everything on them with one of those Brillo-type grill brushes.

Next time I'll try adding some ammonia to the tub too.

If you're going to use EZ-Off, I'd suggest you put the grates in a plastic garbage bag to keep it from drying, hold the bag open as you spray them, then seal with a clothespin. Put it in the sun for a few hours like Robert does, then hose them off. Wear rubber gloves when handling the stuff.

Rita

I have tried the pam for grilling a couple of times. I couldn't see any difference so I don't bother anymore. I definately take a spatula and slide under the butts to loosen them up. I used to take off the fat cap but found a lot of meat stuck to the grate. Now I put the fat cap side on the grate. When I take the spatula to loosen I usually end up with a small amount of fat between the wires. The fat seems to come off better than the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
Now I put the fat cap side on the grate. When I take the spatula to loosen I usually end up with a small amount of fat between the wires. The fat seems to come off better than the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, another good option for butts I never thought of. I'll definitely try that this weekend also; usually I trim the fat cap ala more bark, but that makes more sense as a solution to my problem. Thanks for that.

I'll try fat-side down too.

I get my (boneless) butts at Costco, and they are almost too well trimmed. If they have a fat side, I'll try your method. Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!

Rita

I make sure my grates are clean then I either spray them with Pam for Grilling or wipe them down with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil.

About half the time I turn them over sometime during the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger P:
I'm going to try to get some heavy-duty oven/grill cleaner (Easy-Off type) and try to clean my grates </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If the Easy Off doesn't work do a google search for "Powdered Brewery Wash", about twice a year I soak mine in it overnight to remove any built up gunk and it works quite well. It may seem a bit expensive but a jar will last you a long time.

I also make sure the grates are clean and I wipe the grates with peanut oil right before I throw the meat on. I find cleaning the grates is easy I just throw them on top of my kettle grate after I get done grilling and open the vents up wide wait till the gunk is cooked down then brush them off with a grill brush.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Pam makes a "Pam for Grilling" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So does Weber.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/specialOffers/gclanding.aspx

Weber_grillin_sprayFINAL.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't know if t's the same with Pam, but the Weber spray does NOT create a flame up when sprayed. Two for about $5 at Sam's.

Paul

I can't testify about flameups with Pam for Grilling because I spray my grates in the kitchen, not over a flame, before I load the meat onto the grates and carry them out to my WSM on X-large pizza pans. My grates have not gotten gunked up from it like grill grates might.

Rita

Concur with what everyone else is suggesting. One thing you can do if food continues to stick...after your done with the cook, place about 2 layer of newspaper down on your garage floor, put one of the grates on top, place two more layers of newspaper on top of the grate and wet down the entire surface. Repeat with the other grate. Might have to repeat the wetting process for 1-2 days, but it makes the food still attached comes off with a breeze afterwards.

Back