Food Saver

dsitterson

TVWBB Super Fan
Any recomendations on these. I have shopped around and getting ready to decide. I also wonder do they really work better that a zip loc bag. I know they look cool and fresh when the food is all sealed up but can you really tell a difference?

Thanks,
Woody

I've heard nothing but good things about the Food Saver. That being said, I've had good luck filling sandwich sized zip lock bags and then putting them in a quart sized freezer bag. After thawing and warming, I can't tell any difference from fresh off the smoker.

I've had one for years now and don't know how I ever lived without it. Freezer-burn is a thing of the past.

Highly recommended. I figure if I'm smoking one pork butt I might as well do two, or four. If I'm doing one cryopack of ribs, I might as well do two. The extras get shrinkwrapped and frozen. The packages can be boiled in water to reheat or microwaved. Also good to buy food (hamburger, chicken, etc) in bulk on sale and freeze it. Less likely to get freezer burn than just using foil or plastic wrap (IMHO).

I picked up a Foodsaver v825 on ebay and have been thrilled with it. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need a standalone freezer
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I bought the foodsaver.....then bought the freezer.

All because I started with a meat grinder to make sausage. The grinder was $120, and the rest is still adding up.

The foodsaver is fantastic.

For me the Foodsaver was a gift from my mom. The freezer came after the wife and I bought our house. There was an open section of the kitchen that was just perfect for an upright. The look on people's faces when they walk into the kitchen is priceless, "hey, how come you have two refrigerators?".
icon_smile.gif
Actually, the freezer is a hair bigger.
icon_biggrin.gif

It helped that her father always kept a freezer in the garage when she was growing up. Buying one was actually her idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I bought the foodsaver.....then bought the freezer.

All because I started with a meat grinder to make sausage. The grinder was $120, and the rest is still adding up.

The foodsaver is fantastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's not much difference between a Foodsaver and a ziplock -- for the first couple weeks in the freezer. The Foodsaver shines after that. No freezer burn, no ice crystals. Just my 2 cents.

Griff

I like my food saver. I used to have a seal a meal which was ok. However if you want to start off cheap and you have a Target nearby go check the cooking section. My Target is clearancing the seal a meal for $25. Your local may be different if they even have any left.

Although I haven't tried it yet, I hear the Black & Decker bags work in the Food saver for about half the price.

Charlie, I've used the Black & Decker bags quite a bit, and have had no problems a'tall with them. Everyone now and then, you can catch Food Save bags on Amazon.com for a ridiculously low price, like 75% off or so. For me, though, it's a crap-shoot to just happen to run up on them. Great time to stock up when I do, though!

Keri C, still smokinn' on Tulsa Time

The FS is great when it works. My problem is that it is erratic. Sometimes it works beautifully. The next time it may take 2-3 tries to get a good seal. Sometimes it seals before it pulls vacuum. Sometimes it seals and vacuums but the next day it will have lost the seal. Any tips?

pat i had the same problem with the foodsaver and it is absolutely useless when it comes to trying to vacuum any liquids within the bag such as sauces or soups.I had 1 of the first models and the thing pissed me off so bad it ended up in the landfill.Same thing here sealing before pulling vacuum.When it worked the thing was awsome.Maybe they have improved the newer models.Glad you posted because i always thought it was just me experiencing this.

Back