Food Saver

I have a model 1050 FoodSaver and it has given me exceptional service. I never use bags for soups and sauces; canning jars are the way to go and vacuum-seal very well.

TIP: Pierce a tiny hole in the flat canning lid with a push-pin. Make a small tab from a piece of electrical tape and turn under one end. Place over the hole. Vacuum the jar. When you want to open the jar, just pull off the tab to allow air into the jar. This is so much easier than using a knife or can opener to release the lid. Saves lids too. Wash the lid, replace the tab, and use again.

Rita

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jason. Maybe mother was right when she told me to stay away from machinery!
I freeze EVERYTHING before I vacuum it. I ahve a new one but itdoesn't seem to do any better.
It's the model you are supposed to push down for 3-5 sec and let go and it will stay closed from the vacuum. Most of the time if I let go it stops!! Some of the things I think cause problems:
-pushing down too hard on the lid. I think this amy choke the vacuum and lead to the premature sealing problem.
- Not waiting long enough between sealings to let the sealing strip cool.
-Cutting the bags too short.
Haveing to reseal 2 or 3 times is bad enough. It's when you look in the freezer and see things thta have lost the seal after a few days!!

Bumping this thread because my wife is thinking of getting me a foodsaver for xmas, but she wants a specific model to shop for. Any suggestions on what exactly I should ask for? I don't want her to spend top dollar so a decent middle of the market model or a great low cost / best bang for the buck suggestion would be great.

Thanks!

I just purchsed one a few weeks ago. I did a LOT of research looking at the consumer models from Foodsaver, Tillia, Deni, etc. I wanted something that would have reliability, get to a high vacuum (28hg), have short recycle time, and also do wider bags. Basically I decided on a low end commercial unit. This basically means you give up the opportunity to get something under $300. So, not saying it's for everyone or that the higher end model consumer units won't work. Just what I decided. I wanted to get something that had a good track record. I decided on this unit, but bought it of an Ebay seller:

http://www.provacuumsealers.com/

Here's the Ebay seller. I'm from PA, have been working in York which is very close to them. I picked it up in person. They are a legitimate large business selling to the hunting community.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220165823966

Here's there direct number:

Bowhunters Super Store
(717) 432-8944 | 1045 Zeigler Rd Wellsville, PA

It's a real brick and morter store, with real people running the show!

This was the cheapest price I could find for this unit. There are a number of sellers on the Web and on Ebay. Search on Pro 2300. Cabela's sells their version:

http://www.cabelas.com (search on CG-15)

But it doesn't have some of the heavy duty features in lieu of a digital console. The Pro 2300 is a little heavier duty version than what they sell, same list prices though.

During the research I heard from a lot of people that used the Foodsaver consumer type units who had a number of problems over time.

There are number of other solutions, this one fit what I was looking for. The smaller units fit a bit nicer on the counter top. I keep this in a rolling drawer in the kitchen that is very close to an outlet and can use it right in that position or lift it out onto the counter top if I have more than a bag or two. Not really that heavy or imposing, but not as aesthetically appealing as the consumer units. I also bought a cover for it.

It will also take any accessory made for the Foodsavers, etc. Uses the same bags. I like the ability to go to 15" wide bags for large items. It has higher vacuum than consumer models, takes wider bags, and has a wider sealing strip for better success in creating a first attempt seal.

I have used it about 20 or so times since buying it. I like the convenience of heating things up in the bag as well. So not just for freezing. Thing to remember is that you can use a longer bag that you need for some items that you use occaisionaly, put back in the bag an reseal (I.E. things like ginger root, etc).

Anyway - if you are looking for something heavier duty than the consumer units I can't recommend this one more. It's probably the cheapest of the commercial bar type sealers on the market. If you are looking for something that will last years of heavy use, I think this is the way to go. I also plan to use it for small woodworking projects (veneering).

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG PRO SFB

They have the Tillia FoodSaver® Food Sealer Vac 825 on sale tomorrow at Kohl's for $80. I have no experience with it but I might try it.

For those having issues with soups/sauces(or any other type of liquid being sucked out during vaccuuming) you must first freeze the product. I use 4x8 bread loaf pans. For example, if I make a ton of chili I will fill my pans about half full(to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick) and freeze overnight. Then I just pop them out and vaccuum. They are perfect, flat 4x8 rectangles that also stack very nicely in the freezer.

Similar for freezing bulk meat and anything that has even a bit of blood/juice/liquid in it. For raw steaks,fish or chicken I simply spread them out on a baking pan and put them in the freezer for an hour or two. Just enough to freeze them on the outside. This will keep the juices from being sucked out of the meat.

When it comes to vaccuum packing use your imagination. I try to make everything flat so that it stacks nicely in the freezer which also takes up less room and gives me easy access. For ground meat I'll vaccuum it in 1 or 2lb. 'balls' and then gently smash them flat by hand.

For anyone not getting good seals just make sure whatever your packing isn't leaching liquids. It doesn't take much for it not to work right. I have the cheap Tilia model(about $100 I think)and don't have any problems with it. Just have to make sure it is clean/free of any liquids at ALL times.

Ron

I bought the Foodsaver V2490 late this summer from Costco for around $109. It has been awesome. I have had zero problems with keeping the seal or vacuuming the air out. I highly recommend.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron F:
For those having issues with soups/sauces(or any other type of liquid being sucked out during vaccuuming) you must first freeze the product. I use 4x8 bread loaf pans. For example, if I make a ton of chili I will fill my pans about half full(to about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick) and freeze overnight. Then I just pop them out and vaccuum. They are perfect, flat 4x8 rectangles that also stack very nicely in the freezer.

Similar for freezing bulk meat and anything that has even a bit of blood/juice/liquid in it. For raw steaks,fish or chicken I simply spread them out on a baking pan and put them in the freezer for an hour or two. Just enough to freeze them on the outside. This will keep the juices from being sucked out of the meat.

When it comes to vaccuum packing use your imagination. I try to make everything flat so that it stacks nicely in the freezer which also takes up less room and gives me easy access. For ground meat I'll vaccuum it in 1 or 2lb. 'balls' and then gently smash them flat by hand.

For anyone not getting good seals just make sure whatever your packing isn't leaching liquids. It doesn't take much for it not to work right. I have the cheap Tilia model(about $100 I think)and don't have any problems with it. Just have to make sure it is clean/free of any liquids at ALL times.

Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ron, Excellent points and post.
icon_cool.gif

Ron - all good stuff. One other technique to keep liquids or other material off the ends of the bag is to fold over the top inch of the bag before loading it. Once loaded flip it to normal. This keeps the top inside edge from getting wet and creating problems during sealing.

Ray

Back