food saver problems

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
I receive the FoodSaver v840 for my b/day. And have since experimented with about ten items - salami, bread, avacodos, etc. to see how it works. Problem is, it isn't. Seems I'm getting a miniscule leak every time. After about two hours, air has reentered the pouch. I've made sure that the bag has been properly sealed, and has been correctly put into the vaccuum channel. I can see no dirt or other obstruction in the channel or anything else. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? And if so, how did you fix it?

You have to be very careful when putting items into the bags to be sealed that you don't leave any residue on the inside of the bag where the seal is made. Use a little extra bag material if necessary. Cuffing the bag before loading it also helps prevent getting anything on the seal area.

My 1060 developed a couple of hot spots. When looking at the seal, in several places I could see white spots, nearly melted through (looking closely I could see lots of small bubbles). I called the company and they sent me an extra strip of the insulating tape that goes over the heat strip at no charge and it fixed up the problem. Also, try not to press TOO hard/TOO long when making seals or you can melt through the bag causing the same problem.

Along the same lines, you want to be sure there are no folds or wrinkles in the bag where the seal is being applied.

I have the same model as you. I have noticed the same thing. It seems like I made a good seal all vacuumed down. I will go later to get it back out of the freezer and it isn't vacuumed down anymore. I wipe down the insde of the bag after loading it as suggested on the video. I just figured I wasn't holding my mouth right.
icon_razz.gif
I just pulled some brisket slices out last night and noticed the vacuum was gone. Kind of aggravating.

Sometimes when I'm not to careful about cleaning the top of the bag before sealing, I'll put a second seal (no additional vacuum) in the excess material above the original seal. I figure its some extra insurance, and doesn't require extra material.

Thanks for all the info, i did everything suggested, but still no lasting seal. I'm going to call foodsaver tomorrow, and then look at sending it back and getting another. Bummer!

Not sure about your model but my 1080 has a switch on it for a 3 or a 5 second seal. Maybe try going up or down depending on where it's set at if you have said adjustment. My switch is located right under the lid above the hinge.

Scott, one thing I find helps is to stretch the bag out horizontally AFTER you have closed the FoodSaver. That helps make sure the bag is really flat at the vacuum mouth, which is critical.

Virgil

Tried everything, even calling the manufacturer. Nothing worked. Returned it to amazon and asked for a replacement. They started to ship it, but then cancelled it. Sent me an email that there seemed to be a problem with this particular "device" and they wouldn't be sending me a replacement. So much for the vaunted Consumer Reports who gave this their best overall rating. Bummer.

If I may, I know you no longer have this modle, but I had a simulare problem. It wasn't the unit it was the bag material. Once I got through about 3 feet of it I had no problems and haven't since. Also I found that I get a better seal if I use the dry setting and not moist for my meats.

If the meat juices/fat are prohibiting the seal, a trick my father-in-law taught me is to roll up a paper towel and set it on the top of the meat to soak up the juices.
I used to have lots of sealing problems until I started doing this.
The other thing I do, is to let the meat sit in the fridge overnight prior to sealing, so the fat/juices harden.

Back