Food Products website

You're right. Fascinating. I could spend hours, I'm sure, digging around there, and probably will.

check out the article "where there's smoke, there's flavor" in the "meat" section of the library. Everything you ever wanted to know about wood chemistry... phenols, lingin, carbonyls and hemicellulose.

e.g., I never knew (nor thought I cared until now) that high amounts of lingin contributes high amounts of flavor in some woods (ala mesquite), while others have more mild amounts of lingin and more cellulose and hemicellulose which contribute to the color (oak and hickory). Who knew?

Article goes down from there... talking about how to do it commercially, including liquid smoke and other stuff... but very interesting.

Good site, Morgan. Thanks for sending.

These are very interesting:

The Ins and Outs of Rubs, Glazes and Marinades which mentions optimum pH for moisture retention, the use of phosphates, yeast extract, etc. primary components in FAB-* products

Fanning the Flames of Grilled Foods even mentions "smoked chocolate crème fraîche ice cream"
icon_confused.gif

Flavor Enhancement: ... discusses flavour components including the 5 prime nucleotides (also FAB ingredients)

There is also significant mention of gums and starches such as carrageenan which can hold 20 - 30 times it's weight in water, these could be quite useful in designing injection marinades

or my favourite
Right on "Q" which is all about BBQ

enjoy folks,

morgan

Back