Foiling thermometer cables?

JRPfeff

TVWBB Guru
I am investigating use of the Big Green Egg and have come across a few references to needing to foil the cables on electronic thermometers. This one is from the Naked Whiz, the well known lump charcoal authority.

Insert your Polder probe, making sure not to let it near any bone. I'm assuming that you know to wrap the Polder cable with a layer of foil to protect it. If you don't, well, wrap the cable with foil to protect it from the heat.

That is the first that I have heard of doing this. I suppose it makes sense if you are blasting your egg at 750F, but not for the low & slow pulled pork being discussed at the linked webpage.

Is anyone familiar with the need to foil cables?

The need? No. And I cannot imagine why it would be necessary. Why would one run a remote probe in a 750F cooker?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
The limit is 392°F = 200°C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And wrapping them in aluminum foil won't make any difference. Maybe asbestos.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
The limit is 392°F = 200°C. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And wrapping them in aluminum foil won't make any difference. Maybe asbestos. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The wire does not have the 392°F limit - its the sensor itself that will burn out.

If your unit is running above 392°F, you do not have to wrap the wire - it will be fine, but don't put the sensor in the cooker, leave it outside and it will keep working. NO PROBLEM
icon_biggrin.gif

Back