Foiling Pork Butts

Steve W in NC

TVWBB Member
I cooked a couple of 7 pounder butts yesterday. I am new to the WSM. The last time I cooked butts, I foiled at about 165 degrees. I needed to speed up the cooking time to meet the meal deadline. Yesterday I did not foil just to see if there was a difference. I thought the unfoiled butts from yesterday were not as moist as the foiled ones from a month ago. Every thing else was virtually the same (size butts, internal temp, rest time, etc).

So I'm thinking about going back to foiling at about 165 degrees. Feedback?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve W in NC:
I cooked a couple of 7 pounder butts yesterday. I am new to the WSM. The last time I cooked butts, I foiled at about 165 degrees. I needed to speed up the cooking time to meet the meal deadline. Yesterday I did not foil just to see if there was a difference. I thought the unfoiled butts from yesterday were not as moist as the foiled ones from a month ago. Every thing else was virtually the same (size butts, internal temp, rest time, etc).

So I'm thinking about going back to foiling at about 165 degrees. Feedback? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I never foil butts, and they come out very moist every time. I would guess that foiling probably does add a little moisture, but I prefer the awesome bark that results from an unfoiled butt, and mine are always very moist.

What temp are you cooking at?

I never foil my butts. Make sure that when you buy them they have a nice fat cap. I make sure my butts are done way before my guests arrive. When my butts are taken off the smoker, I foil them and place them in a cooler and put a towel over them. They will hold for hours. I pull them just before they are ready to be served.

Steve,

I usually end up foiling my butts after about 3 or 4 hours due to lack of time. They always come out very moist with a good smoke flavor. Yes, you give up the crusty bark but the bark gets soft anyway once you refrigerate the meat. I also cook at a higher temp than most people - around 275 lid temp with all vents open the entire time (with water in the pan). It's just a matter of preference and time constraints.

My target temperature is 240 degrees, but it varies as I am sure most all smoker do (with the exception of Stoker Log of course). The temperature never gets above 260 or cooler than 230.

I do cut off the fat cap. Maybe that is a mistake.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve W in NC:
My target temperature is 240 degrees, but it varies as I am sure most all smoker do (with the exception of Stoker Log of course). The temperature never gets above 260 or cooler than 230.

I do cut off the fat cap. Maybe that is a mistake. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I usually trim off the fat cap, cause I don't think it adds much to the butts (they are plenty fatty throughout IMO), so I don't think that is your problem.

Your temp sounds perfect...may have just been a leaner butt that you had.

Hello Fellowes
I just foil when she comes off and leave on the counter for about 1hour or so.
Steve by foiling at 165 does it cook faster?
I start to check at about 199. When the bone wants to start to come out I know shes done.
icon_wink.gif
I also cut the fat cap off too. There is section that Chris A shows you and talks about the fat cap. On another sec I ask the question about the cooler thing. On what does it contribute to the meat. When all I do is take it off and foil it like I said and she is nice and moist and taste great. As I am typing I have 3 butts on right now smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif
for next week.

Keep on Smoking
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Foiling definitely speeds up the cooking time. I believe that is the main reason for foiling.

As for the cooler, to me the main advantage of the cooler is keeping the meat temperature as close to cooking temperature for a longer time. The cooler just provides more insulation and a tighter fit around the meat. On my cook last night, I pulled from the grill at 190 degrees and left in the cooler for 1:45 hours. The internal temperature had only dropped to 168 degrees.

I cooked two butts this weekend. Along with a rack of beef ribs and 2 lbs of chicken wings.

I never foil the butts until they come off the smoker at around 195. These two totalled 15 lbs. I put them on at 2:00pm Friday and pulled them off at 6:00am Saturday. They had been at 195 for a couple of hours. I foiled them and let them sit for a few minutes and then put them in a cooler with towels. I pulled the pork at 12:30pm and we ate at 2:00pm. Meat was plenty moist and very tasty.

Back