Foil pans

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
If I was an inventor, I would create and market a foil, disposable water pan liner for 18 and 22 inch WSM's. Has anyone seen such a thing, and if so, where can one be found?

I hear ya Dean! Foiling my pan has been done for many moons my friend!

With a 22" WSM, I can never seem to get the foil situated so it doesn't leak. I lay two sheets of industrial thick (wide foil) down, then crease and fold over several times to form a sheet wide enough to fit the pan. I have NEVER made a foil layer that failed to LEAK...LOL.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

yeah, the problem with with folds is that the water will migrate along the folds and wind up in your 'coals...can't think of any to prevent it, other than make sure the foil doesn't make it over the lip.

Morrey,

First, I don't use water. I use a foiled clay saucer (a planter base).

On the 18" it was never a problem for me using 18" foil. I would put a couple balls of foil in the bottom of the pan, and the put foil over, and it was still catch on the sides.

Since getting my 22", I have always ended up with massive amounts of grease in pan. A lot of times we were cooking 80-120 lbs of pork on there, so I just thought that amount of grease would always make it's way through. Well a few cooks ago I tried something different on the 22.

First, I foiled the bottom of the water pan using 2 sheets of 18" HD foil.

Next, I used 1 sheet of foil on the bottom of the clay saucer. I then foiled the top of the clay saucer.

Next, I took 2 sheets of 18" HD foil and sealed them together. I started with about 4" of overlap and folded it 1" at a time. Then once it was down to 1" of overlap, I folded it in half.

Now here is where the leak issue comes from. As soon as you put the weight of the grease on this seam, it will spread and liquid will find it's way through. So to combat this I lay the sealed together foil on top of my clay saucer. I push it down to follow the contour of the saucer, making sure to keep the seam tight. I then dropped, gently, the saucer into the water pan and sealed the foil along the edges. This way when grease falls into it, the weight is supported by the saucer.

I have done 3 cooks this way since, and so far only ended up with a couple drops of grease on the foil on the saucer. If I only have to replace that 2 pieces of foil each time, and then the top one of the saucer every few cooks, I will be happy.

Also, they make 24" HD foil, but it's $90. I will stick with what I get at restaurant depot, it's $22 for 500 ft of 18" HD.

I am new to the 22.5 WSM having done 2 cooks so far. Like others I have used the 18.5 WSM for over a year. I had to go to a pottery yard here in town to find a clay saucer that fits the 22.5 water pan. By fitting I mean rests on the lip. Found one, on sale $15. So I put 2 pieces of HD foil on top of the saucer and then the saucer in the water pan. No leake of grease in the pan and the saucer works great as a heat sink, just like in the 18.5.

Mark

Morrey, I bought a disposable foil pan that would fit in my 18.5. I had to do some bending and folding but it fit. It worked for what I wanted it for and that was to hold all the juices from the brisket. Saved me from poking holes in the foil I used to use and losing most of the juices.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Morrey, I bought a disposable foil pan that would fit in my 18.5. I had to do some bending and folding but it fit. It worked for what I wanted it for and that was to hold all the juices from the brisket. Saved me from poking holes in the foil I used to use and losing most of the juices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've taken the 1/2 sized warmer pans from Sams Club and bent them into as much of a round shape as I can. It work ok unless you are trying to max out the WSM with 4 butts (mine is a 18.5"). The square corners can be spread out some as they crimp the foil in to make the corer square. They are fairly cheap and just toss it out when done. $7 for 30 of them.

Sam's Club 1/2 size disposable food warmer trays

I got a couple of pretty good tips from this thread...Thanks everyone!

I was not aware that HD foil came in rolls 24" wide.....expensive but available.

I do nest a clay saucer in my 22.5 water pan so that takes the pressure off the folded seams of the foil. Darn...it alwasy seems to leak enough to make a mess. Gonna keep trying til I get this thing sealed tight!

Back