Foil in bottom of WSM

well, I wait until the next day, and I use a paper plate as a scoop. it conforms to the bottom and it works great, when I am done I throw it away to. not the green way. but it works

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you've waited until the ashes are completely cold (which you should), why not just pick up the bottom section of the WSM and dump the ashes into whatever container you're using? In my case, since I have a wooded area behind the house, I just pick up the bottom section and dump the ashes over the fence. Foil, pans, scoops, all seem like a lot of unnecessary complications.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Scott:
This is what I do and it works well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Went out in the garage, got a 39 gallon trash bag and put over the smoker like a cover. Then put the regular cover on over it. We'll see how that works next time it rains. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put the cover on first and the trash bag over the cover - that way the cover AND WSM are protected....

yesterday, I saw a smoker at the town "recycling center" (dump). Not much good was it, beat tahell but it did have two small water pans in somewhat decent shape.
So I threw em in the back of the Jeep.
Gonna use one as an ash catcher in the base of the 18" WSM.
Here's a photo of it with the coal grate and chamber on it. Should catch the majority of the ashes. Doesn't interfer with the three vents at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry D.:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you've waited until the ashes are completely cold (which you should), why not just pick up the bottom section of the WSM and dump the ashes into whatever container you're using? In my case, since I have a wooded area behind the house, I just pick up the bottom section and dump the ashes over the fence. Foil, pans, scoops, all seem like a lot of unnecessary complications. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I totally agree..
Why make it harder than it needs to be?
icon_confused.gif

Tim

It's not a hard thing to pick up only a ash pan and dump it...
I have "waited until the ashes are completely cold (which you should), why not just pick up the bottom section of the WSM and dump the ashes into whatever container you're using"...
but now this small ash collector will enable me to dump only a small container instead of my entire bottom half of the WSM

Hey Jim.
What really matters is what works for you..
icon_smile.gif

I use lump so I don't have to deal with ash disposal as often
icon_wink.gif

Tim

larry, the reason I scoop it out, is I live on the third floor of a building. I scoop it out and put it in an old charcoal bag. I really cant pick it up and throw it over the side. it makes a big mess going into a bag. I guess it would be nice to put in big garbage bags. I, just dont use those here.

Back