Flying with bbq stuff

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
I'm visiting some family in Oklahoma and I'm thinking about packing my rub in a cannister in our check in luggage. Has anyone experienced issues packing probes, rub, etc. in your luggage?

I'm not trying to take my smoker.
icon_smile.gif

My son has flown home with frozen vac sealed pulled pork with no issues. I imagine as long as your not transporting fuel you'll be fine.

I've never had a problem taking spices, herbs and probes on board airlines. I think it might help if the herbs are labeled so they couldn't be mistaken for anything else...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
I've never had a problem taking spices, herbs and probes on board airlines. I think it might help if the herbs are labeled so they couldn't be mistaken for anything else...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I was thinking about labelling too. Debating whether I want to pack it or ship it, but I guess I have options now. Thanks!

If it's a direct flight and you have the room, I'd pack it. If it's not a direct flight, you run the risk of losing a thermo, etc. if your bags 'disappear'.

I took some sauce and marinade as well as rub on a flight. The thought I had was to vacum seal them in seperate bags to help prevent any air pressure disasters while at 30,000 ft. I love barbecue sauce as much as the next guy but I didn't want to wear it for three days. I was also worried about knives and thermo pens dissapearing. Luckily I didn't have any problems

I know it's probably different regs between Canada and the US but I have flown to comps before and taken rubs, sauces, all equipment aside from cookers which we borrowed once we got there. I have even flown with uncooked brisket before. Never had so much as an issue with any of it.

Clark

Over the years we have put almost anything you can imagine in suitcases and checked them. We have carried glasses, bowls, dozens of bottles of wine, hard liquor, knives, pans, hammers saws, drill bits chisels, anything we wanted to take domestically and internationally. The only things we have ever had damaged was a coffee mug and the handle broken off of a cast iron skillet. We have never had anything stolen from a bag. It's not much of a risk take what you want.

Back