Fly Control

G

I cook in an outdoor kitchen area off of my indoor kitchen that's only open on one side. The flys are way too plentiful when I fire up the smoker and I was wondering how I could control them, any ideas?

I'm going answer this against my better judgment. I do not mean to offend. If you keep animals of any type in your yard or house and have uncovered trash cans anywhere on the property as well as standing water, which also produces mosquitoes, than you have to change a few things. If you have animals and can't get rid of them you must feed them the best dog/cat food you can afford. Nutro-Max produces the driest smallest, driest waste of them all and also provides the best nutrition, and pick up animal waste every day in plastic bags and tie it up and put it in the trash. Keep trashcans covered. Check anything that could hold standing water even an 1/8th cup of water. Make it drain or get rid of it. If you have a fly problem you have a breeding ground somewhere. Find it and fix it. Forget the chemicals. If it is you neighbors yard insist that they do something. Their flies are causing you big problems. It is not hard to get rid of flies permanently but you do have to take action. I rarely see flies around my house. My dog is picked up after each day, all trashcans are covered tight, All trash is tied shut in plastic bags. I let no standing water accumulate,and I keep my BBQ pit clean and closed and I do not have a fly problem. Hope this helps.

There was a post on here about a month ago where somebody said to hang up a sandwich bag half full of water over your doorjam. I know this sounds weird but there was a link to some research and they figure because the way the flies eyes work the baggie HALF full messes with their vision.Don't know if it works but it may be worth a try.

James, been there, done that. Can't say we noticed a difference, but they were great topic starters.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try the bait. We have no animals or standing water in our yard, but we do live on a small lake. The fly problem is only when we use the smoker, I guess they like the smell?
Thanks
bkh

Ditto Darwin Hoel above about premium quality dog foods. It's the best investment you can make in your pet, and actually cheaper-- calorie for calorie-- to feed your pet than cheap grocery store brands. The comment about clean-up is true-- hockey pucks vs. cow pies with the cheap stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">hockey pucks vs. cow pies with the cheap stuff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont have animals Doug...but well said....i got the message from context....
icon_biggrin.gif

I use a bee/wasp/fly catcher that seems to work pretty well. You add some water, sugar, and a little raw meat to it and hang it in a tree. The get lured in and can't get out...bug soup. No, I can't smell it.

This one really works! Set trap over fresh "bait" (my dogs supply that) and within minutes they are flying in for good!

aloha!

Greg Kemp
4509779424.jpg

Back