Floresta Lump

Craig Castille

TVWBB Wizard
I went to the restaurant supply house today to grab a few more bags of Picnic lump.

Damn! They were out.

Instead, they had another brand named "Floresta" on hand. So, I bought a couple of bags.

It is also made in Argentina just as Picnic is.

One bag on the skid had a hole in the top (convenient), so I kind of peeked inside( Ok, so I grabbed a couple of handfuls) and pulled out some of the lump.

There were chunks nearly softball size at the top of the bag. The stuff is very dense. Wow!

Oh well, I'll let you all know how it does this weekend.

BTW- Anyone ever heard of it or tried it before?

Craig,

I have used it, and like it. If I can't get Picnic, I grab the Floresta. I learned about it from a S. Florida distributor. It is packaged by the same people that bring us Picnic.

Hope you like it.

Rick

I've seen restaurant supply stores mentioned in threads before. What kind of things are you purchasing there, and what kind of things do they stock?
In order to find one locally do you just look in the phone book? Do they mind selling to the general public or do you need a business license? Don't mean to hijack your thread, was just wondering. Thanks...Chris

And I STILL haven't been able to get to Tampa or Orlando with enough time on my hands to get any!

chris-- Let your fingers do the walking. Some supply houses are dry goods, some include food. craig gets meats from the same place the gets lump. Some don't sell to the public but mosdt, I'd say, do. Some have minimums (like a case of meat); others don't.

Rick- Thanks. I thought so.

Kevin- It's about time to get some, huh?

Chris- The one I go to is affiliated with or as a grower. They are kind of like a mini Sam's with the emphasis on cooking supplies and fresh vegtables (sold by the case mostly). They do sell to the public, as most do.

You just have to buy larger quantities. The savings can be substantial in some cases, and others, not.

With this wholesaler, I mostly buy lump and beef.....although the beef is getting close to Sam's in terms of pricing.

The lump that they carry is unmatched in terms of quality and price (20 lb bag for $9.00).

Craig,

The Meat Emporium on OBT (just north of 417) stocks Floresta. I believe it is a 20lb bag. I will have to check out the pricing next time I am in.

Q'n, Golf'n, & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Gary,

Thanks for the info.

How is the meat emporium? Pricing, selection, etc?

That's down near Hunters Creek, right?

I'll have to check it out soon. I live in Dr Phillips, so it's not far at all.

Hmm. Now that might be an easier place for me to get to--and sooner(!) as I am in O'do far more often than I get even near Tampa.

Yes, Gary, prices good?

Originally posted by craig castille:
Gary,

Thanks for the info.

How is the meat emporium? Pricing, selection, etc?

That's down near Hunters Creek, right?

I'll have to check it out soon. I live in Dr Phillips, so it's not far at all.

Craig,

I have found and have requested choice briskets from them, and their selection of packers are as reliable as any I have found in this area. I have also picked up some nice tri-tip. To be honest with you the briskets and tri-tips have been nice enough that I purchased without concern for price. With that said, I have never experienced any sticker shock at the register. They are my go-to for those cuts, unless I happen upon a special elsewhere.

Hunters Creek is correct. They are about 3/4 of a mile of north of 417. They will be on the left if you are traveling north on OBT from 417. It is a Latin Market/Meat Market.

Kevin,

On my way to the Doc. office this morning I drove by the new WholeFoods (I-4 & Sandlake), and the landscaping is going in. They are getting there. Easy freeway access if traveling through Orlando on your way home.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choice!
Gary

It is a Latin Market/Meat Market.
Oooo. Maybe bellies!

I'll check out WF and the OBT place when next there. I can hide my trailer (sort of) on side streets just north of Central Fla Pky and east of OBT which isn't far from Hunter's.

Gary,

Thanks. Looking forward to checking it out.

Kevin,

Look us up next time you are in O'town!

Craig

PS- got a 12 lb packer on now (just put in on about 20 minutes ago, serving by 6 pm)....thank god for the high heat method!!!!

Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is a Latin Market/Meat Market.
Oooo. Maybe bellies!

I'll check out WF and the OBT place when next there. I can hide my trailer (sort of) on side streets just north of Central Fla Pky and east of OBT which isn't far from Hunter's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meat Emporium
(407) 856-2100 | 12720 S Orange Blossom TRL # 5, Orlando FL 32837. He has offered to order me choice brisket when I want, I would think it is possible for him to get you what you want. It may be worth the call.

Craig,

brisket... 6pm.... you are killing me. I broke my heel a couple of weeks ago and the simple act of moving from point A to point B is a challenge. Q'n a 12lb packer, cooking in general for that matter, is going to be very limited for a while. I will be living bbq, and all things food though you guys here at TVWB.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Oh, bummer. Broken heal.

Does he stock--whatever--though? I mean non-special-rder stuff? I do not often know timing of my forays and special orders are kind of out for me. If he's got 'stuff' I'd just buy it and work with whatever it is. He stocks some things (meats) regularly?

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Oh, bummer. Broken heal.

Does he stock--whatever--though? I mean non-special-rder stuff? I do not often know timing of my forays and special orders are kind of out for me. If he's got 'stuff' I'd just buy it and work with whatever it is. He stocks some things (meats) regularly?

Yes, this is the closest thing to a butcher shop I have seen outside the high-end facilities like WF. The tri-tips are tri-tips. They actually look like the pics you have posted (2 lbs), not the excessively trimmed things seen at Publix. They cater to their clientele, obviously, and the cuts most common to the preferences of the Latin population of the area, so I am certain they have items you would grab that I would not know to. I have seen larger cuts of meat like fresh hams, whole sirloin, tri-tip (most of the time), beef ribs, whole packers every time I have visited (usually a few to choose from). It is a mom & pop grocer so there is some hit and miss, but I have yet to be disappointed.

"Oh, bummer. Broken heal" Tell me about it...... but what do you do?

Gary

Gary, I went to the Meat Emporium today.

Good to know about.

I have been looking for flap steaks recently....to which only costco carries (and I am not a member).

Low and behold, they had some beauties at the meat counter @ 4.99lb. I'm gonna throw them on in a few minutes, but thanks again for the info.

Craig,

It's nice to have a couple of resources. I will forward on any new finds as they come. I hope that flap steak turned out well....

Gary

p.s. were they selling the floresta at a decent price?

The flap steak was ....WOW!

For those that like flank or skirt steaks, try a flap steak sometime.

Thanks again Gary.

PS- the 10 lb bag of picnic was 6.99, and I FORGOT to ask about the floresta, damn!......wasn't too many english speaking folks around there (I don't think the cashier spoke any).

Back