"Flap Meat" first timer

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've seen packages of beef at Costco labelled Flap Meat many times, and this week finally picked up a package to see what I could do with it. It appears to have some characteristics of skirt steak and flank steak combined into a single cut. The piece I grilled tonight had decent amounts of fat interspersed among the muscle, the beef flavor reminded me of skirt steak, and it seemed to respond well to a similar hot/fast cook that I would use for skirt and flank.

I ended up just using a marinade recipe that I found on the 'net (olive oil, chili powder, coriander, cumin), and it was "eh". I think this cut has great potential for fajitas, etc.

Anyone play around with flap meat at all and have a "go-to" recipe that they like? I think it needs a long marinade, and that fajita type of seasoning would do it justice.

Good thing is that I have more from the same package Food Saver'd up and waiting on great input from y'all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

I bought a package at Sam's and ended up freezing it when I didn't have time to cook it. I am thinking it looks perfect for fajitas, too. Let me know how it turns out.

Jim

We buy it when it's under $5/lb. and really like it. My method of cooking is rub it w/olive oil and then salt and pepper it. 3 minutes on each side on a very hot grill and you're all set.

I use flap meat to make grilled carne asada. I make a marinade from juice of 2 lemons, juice 4 limes, 1-2 jalapenos chopped, bunch green onions chopped, 2 cloves garlic chopped,hot sauce, about 1/4 cup steak sauce.

Marinade for at least 2 hours. Cook fast over high heat and get good sear. Serve on tortillas with sauteed onion and green peppers. Just did a party in Kansas and they loved it.

Thanks, guys.

Jon, yep, I was thinking that, too. With the really good beefy flavor of this cut, just simple salt/pepper could be just right.

Paul, that looks tasty! Good thing I've got a couple of pieces in the freezer so I can experiment. Thanks for the recipe!

I'll check back with some results later when I've got them.

Rich

i actually just cooked some of this last friday after seeing a recipe for steak sandwiches on another post. I bought mine at costco as well.

my recipe was simple - sprinkled heavily with carne asada seasoning, toss in a bag with half a dark beer and bunch of cilantro and juice of a lime - let sit couple of hours and grill on high heat. very tasty!

Another good suggestion to try! Thanks.
icon_smile.gif
Sounds quite tasty!

Rich

If you've got a little extra time and a grocer w/good fresh herbs, I love this chimichurri sauce, it goes esp well with flank/skirt steak, but it is a great dip for bread too.

3/4 cup finely chopped fresh italian/flat leaf parsley
2-3 cloves minced garlic
5 tbsp olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 lemon
salt/pepper/crushed red pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients (except the lemon, just squeeze the juice directly into the blender) in a mortar and pestle (or blender) and combine. You can put some or all on the steak before cooking, or save some and use it as a dip afterwards, which I do. I recommend getting some french bread for dipping. It's addictive.

p1000018edited.jpg

I made fajitas with my flap meat tonight. They were perfect. The meat was especially tender.

I still don't know what cut this is. It looks something like skirt steak, but not quite.

I've never heard of flap meat and I've been to Costco's many times.

Is it similar to the flap that is cut off the top of pork ribs making them St. Louis except this is the flap meat from beef ribs?

Also, great pic. Looks really good.

Thanks,
Steve

p1000022edited.jpg

Steve - I cooked up the rest of my flap meat tonight on my Baby-Q. I used a simple soy-garlic marinade and it was even better than the fajitas. It has a very beefy flavor, similar to hangar steak.

p1000028edited.jpg

A cook who worked at a Tex Mex restaurant told me that his restaurant used a marinade of 1:1 pineapple juice and soy sauce. I've tried it a few times with mixed results. First couple of times, it was great - last time, for some reason, it tasted a bit too salty. He also strongly suggested skirt steak (for it's marbling) over flank. Skirt steak is generally harder to find around here, but I've found a couple of good sources here, including a pricey Fresh Market with a nice meat department and a small Mexican grocery store which sells it at a very good price.

Here in San Diego and far before I owned a WSM I would get pre=marinated flp met for Carne Asada tacos from the local Mexican markets. I asked one time what was in the marinate, and the base liquid is Tecate Beer...so that's my little revealed secret of the day...got to get to work on my Short Rib low n slow cook.
Enjoy.

I like to marinate it in a ziplock with a bottle of Wishbone Italian dressing for a few hours.
Then add fome Johnny's, or Chef Merito as it hits the grill. Then I slice it small and put it
into a pita pocket with diced onions.

Up here in New England, flap meat is sold as 'steak tips'. I know where you can buy them whole in the cryovac, but they will still cost you 5-7 bucks a pound. Most of the time you will see them in the supermarket all trimmed up and cut into 2-4 oz pieces for kabobs of some sort. Most people skip the skewer in the interest of cooking the chunks on all sides. One thing we used to make in the restaurant I worked in was a london broil steak. We marinated a 12 oz piece in Good Season's dressing for at least 24 hrs, then grill it to order. Sliced it on the bias, then plated onto a bed of rice pilaf. Any juices went on top along with a sweetened brown sauce.

Its great with a good marinade to tenderize overnight if you can. Then grilled hot and fast, sliced thin and stuffed inside a pocket pita with diced Vidalia onions.

I believe I mention in my Intro that I'm a butcher. ( More so a meat cutter as VERY few places actually break down whole animals anymore) This looks like an old thread that was somewhat renewed.
Here's what I know about flap meat. It comes from the bottom of the sirloin. It can be very tender if marinated and cooked properly.

Any members that live in an area that have a franchise butcher called "The Meat House" and have tried their steak tips , have had flap meat.

I find it a very tasty, beefy cut, not super tender, but if well marinated and sliced thin, quite enjoyable.

I'll tell you this though, the WHOLESALE prices of beef are insane right now, flap meat cost at the store I'm working in( on Long Island in NY) is about 4.85 lb so retail will be closer to $7 or way more.....we use it mainly for steak on a stick and get $11 lb for it....and it flies out the door.....lol

I suppose it beats skirt steak, which wholesales for $8lb, after we clean it we get $16.

Back