Fishing and Grilling up North

Mark Skeet

TVWBB Pro
Hi All. It's been a while since I've been able to post anything. May got filled up with kids sports and then I went on a fishing trip to Canada. Each cabin at the lodge had an old beat up Weber so when we weren't eating fish we put it to good use.

First, we caught some of these (this was the nicest):

p1020702t.jpg

We caught a whole bunch of these:

p1020695e.jpg

Some of them turned into this:

p1020726d.jpg

This version was pretzel crusted. Very tasty.

We also fired up some 10 oz. burgers on the Weber:

p1020709y.jpg

And the last night we made bone-in strip steaks:

p1020735d.jpg

p1020736ei.jpg

The fishing and eating were equally good. Thanks for looking!

Looks like a GREAT time! (sure beats workin'!)

The Smallies aren't much to eat, but they sure are fun to CATCH.

And some ice-cold 'Blue goes down really good with some pan-fried Walleyes that were floppin'-around 20-minutes ago...

Thanks for letting us mentally hitch a ride with ya'!

Nice fishing, good looking food and photos! Reminds me of some of the fishing and camping trips we had a few years back!

Hope you weren't fishing for bass in Ontario since the season doesn't open till the 23rd of June.That walleye looks nice though. Glad you had a great time. Keep coming up here and spending your money, we have to pay for our universal healthcare somehow.

Looks like you had a great time, Mark, and you prompted me to check the calendar: 5-1/2 weeks until vacation!
icon_wink.gif

Hey Mark,

Do you mind if I ask where in Canada you stayed? Those are some nice pickerel there. And a weber at each cabin. Sounds Great!!!!

Bill

London, Ontario.

Yeah, and did you ever have a small mouth bass chowder with crisped bacon and drippings, onion , tarragon and skillet baking powder biscuits, and wild coral ( clavaria ) shrooms sauteed in Noilly Pratt vermouth / butter. And some just-right, boiled potato chunks, and a can of condensed milk. Oh, for the honeymoon again on the St. Croix River in eastern Maine, or any other rural site that has the small mouth around. Enjoy !!! Now for some sauteed Lamprey.

Looks like you had a great time! The pretzel crusted fish sounds very interesting to me. Thanks for the idea!

Mr. DeVivo - you've got me thinking:

Maybe what I said earlier about Smallies not being much to eat is because I just never found the right way to cook 'em. (Pan-fried, I still think they're nothing special. OK, but much better fish to be had around here from the same waters...) Still, they are A BLAST to catch! (I usually catch & release them.)

If you get the chance, maybe E-mail me a recipe for the chowder or post it here (I'm sure we have more than a few inland fisher-peeps on here).

We also have a beautiful St. Croix River in our state (also known for being a nice canoe-trip destination).

Thanks all for the comments!

Bob - we were fishing for Walleye but the Smallmouth were very aggressive. The lake we were on doesn't allow you to take any Smallies all year long.

Bill - we stayed at Separation Lake Lodge, about an hour north of Kenora.

OK, RON as soon as I can. Hint...BACON, BACON, BACON ! Getting ready for a huge annual WCHA ( canoe ) Assembly in the Adirondacks. Lots of folks from WI...come on over. Soon...Dave

Back