First WSM Go

BWalker

TVWBB Member
I picked up my WSM yesterday and am looking at breaking it in today before a big, day-long smoke on Saturday. What is something I can smoke in a few hours for a good first go? I'd like to avoid a full chicken as I just grilled some chicken last night. Thanks!

Beau

That Pepper Stout Beef looks great but looks like it will be a 4+ hour cook after throwing it in the oven? How long does it typically take?

So if you want quick I think the best bet is chicken. What about wing sections? That's one of my favorite "quick" things on the smoker. Especially with a good jerk paste on them. The longer they marinade in the paste before smoking the better.

Don't want to do chicken, I would do some country style pork ribs with beef sausage. Easy and delish cook.

I actually decided to mix it up a bit and go with a flat iron steak. I know it's easy to over-do but I'm going to pull it off around 130-135 and give it a quick sear on the kettle (gotta have that look). Hopefully the simple rub of dark ground coffee, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cayenne will work well. I'll check back in later!

Probably too late now, but I would have smoked a simple fatty or small meatloaf. How was the steak?

I would of done baby back ribs...

How did the flat iron steak come out? Any pics?

Flat iron came out great. Took a bit under 1.5 hours to get to 135 internally (it was around a 1.4 lb flat iron). I then seared it on a hot grill for about a minute a side before letting it rest for 15 mins or so. Came out a perfect medium rare. I'm looking forward to my all-day cook tomorrow.

Back