First WSM cook - I went crazy.

Did I say my first cook was going to be an easy turkey breast roast? After talking to a BBQing co-worker Friday morning, and realizing that I got to leave early that evening, I went nuts and stopped on the way home at Sam's Club and picked up a brisket packer.

There aren't any prep photos, as I was rushed to get it going that evening, but I put my new 12" Cimeter to good use to trim the fat. I went pretty aggressively into the seam between point and flat.

The wife has planned steak the evening I started the brisket, so the grill was going, too. I think it was a plan to make sure the grill didn't feel like it was being replaced by the new addition.
smoker-food-3.jpg

Sometime the next morning.
smoker-food-4.jpg

Another angle, allowing you to see the interface between the flat and the supraspinatus - or whatever the point is called.
smoker-food-5.jpg

Now, after reading these forums for like the last 25 years, I knew not to count on temperature to determine doneness, but to use actual tenderness. I figured that judging the meat by poking a skewer into it might take a few tries to get right. My experience has been with spare ribs. Had I pulled a rack of ribs with the resistance I was still feeling when I pulled the brisket, it would have been too chewy. But I was afraid of overcooking, so I pulled it. I split the point and flat on the cooker, left the point on for a few more hours, and wrapped the flat in foil and a towel to rest until dinner.
smoker-food-6.jpg

At dinnertime, I sliced the flat. Urgh. It was immediately apparent as it fell apart that I had overcooked it. And as you'd expect, it was on the dry side. I thought the flavor was very good though, and my pregnant wife, who is dealing with "morning" sickness now, posted on her Facebook how glad she was that she felt like eating that night because the brisket her husband had made was "Yum-O!"
smoker-food-7.jpg

I took leftovers to work on Monday, and left them on the conference table. When I came back a few minutes later, there was none left. I received many compliments on the taste.

The rub was basically the Midnight Cook recipe with appropriate amounts of cayenne, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder, pulled together from many additional forum posts. I will begin minor adjustments in subsequent cooks, but I think I had a pretty good mix to start with.

I pulled the point after dinner and chopped it for sandwiches in the future.
smoker-food-8.jpg

The over cook could have happened when you foiled and toweled it. Still it looks great, and as they say practice makes perfect (and you get to eat the mistakes).

The small, pointed end of the flat looks dry, but then again, it always does and usually is. The slices back toward the middle of the flat and under the point look fantastic with a terrific smoke ring.

If I foil, I will add some liquid - usually just beer and Worcestershire sauce - to the foil then, after I slice, I dip the slices, especially the ones nearer the small end, in the foil juices.

I usually use brisket slices in brisket tacos with some slaw, pico and a spicy buttermilk dressing and the stuff goes fast.

Looks like a great cook - we all are our own harshest critics. I DEFINITELY want a couple of sandwiches made from that point!

Pat

PS - love the Beagle - just brought mine in for the night. She was serenading the neighborhood.

Looks pretty good for a first try brisket on a new cooker. Did you remove the fat between the point and the brisket? Just wondering why you would do that. I always just let it render as is. When you foiled it did you add any broth or drippings to the foil? Next time if you slice it and it seems a little dry get the liquid from the foil and give the slices a little basting.If your holding slices till the next day add broth or drippings to the container your using to store it in. Nothing wrong with au jus on the brisket. Better than putting sauce on it IMHO.

When I do spares, when I let them rest in foil, I add some liquid - usually apple juice when I have it. I would have done the same here, but rushed the whole project, and nothing I had on hand sounded good with brisket. I thought maybe I would try beer in the future.

I don't think you went crazy at all.

Personally, I prefer the approach of jumping into a first cook with both feet instead of asking a forum for advice and getting 20 conflicting responses from 20 different people and winding up terminally confused.

Good luck with your next cook. The weekend is coming!

Ken

There always seems to be a beagle lurking! Mine is ready for another cook for sure. She likes anything I cook as long as it has some sort of bone in it. Sometimes I think our dogs have more bbq experience than most people.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PS - love the Beagle - just brought mine in for the night. She was serenading the neighborhood.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There always seems to be a beagle lurking! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes! As long as something is on the grill or the cooker, she wants to be in the yard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Good luck with your next cook. The weekend is coming! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, it's just me, my wife, and the four-year-old, so the brisket is going to last a while yet. Well, I am going to put on the turkey breast this weekend that I intended to do last weekend. Oh yeah....in anticipation of my alma mater winning the national championship against the Oregon Ducks, I did a duck Monday night.
smoker-food-1.jpg

I didn't give myself enough time, and finished it up on the grill to get higher heat and a dark skin.
smoker-food-2.jpg

It was pretty good, but it could have really used more time to render more fat out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Did you remove the fat between the point and the brisket? Just wondering why you would do that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not all of it, but I trimmed pretty aggressively. Where's there's fat, there's little or no rub or smoke. I want the rub and smoke all around my slices. In fact, next time, I'm thinking of separating the point from the flat before cooking altogether.

aubie-02062007-14_sm.jpg

Sorry about the brisket. but still a good cook.

Duck i have never tryed myself but i think Noe´s-way of doing it without a water pan would work great!

Is it just me or do that dog dont like Swedes? I wont win a stare out with him thats for sure
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Is it just me or do that dog dont like Swedes? I wont win a stare out with him thats for sure
icon_mad.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_smile.gif
Daniel I think he's upset he didn't get and duck.

Back