First wsm cook. Cooking some spares trimmed St Louis style. Added Pictures

Dennis Stilwell

TVWBB Member
They have been on for 3 hrs now, and I just opened the lid to flip and spray them. The temp has been holding just below 250 near the upper rack. From reading, it seems that 7hrs at this temp should be just right. How do I know when they are done, and when should I start checking for doneness?

Thanks,
Dennis

They are done when tender, not at any specific time. I'd start checking for tender at about 4 1/2 hours just to get an idea of where you are. Using a probe or skewer between two bones will give you an idea of how tender they are. The probe should go in with little resistance. I cook my spares at about 250 lid and never had to go 7 hours. More like 5- 5 1/2, 6 hours max. Sometimes I foil and sometimes not. Foiling will shorten the cook time. When I do foil, I, like most, return the ribs to the smoker out of the foil for a bit to firm them up. JMO, but I find spraying and flipping does nothing for them. Bone side down all the way

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave/G:
They are done when tender, not at any specific time. I'd start checking for tender at about 4 1/2 hours just to get an idea of where you are. Using a probe or skewer between two bones will give you an idea of how tender they are. The probe should go in with little resistance. I cook my spares at about 250 lid and never had to go 7 hours. More like 5- 5 1/2, 6 hours max. Sometimes I foil and sometimes not. Foiling will shorten the cook time. When I do foil, I, like most, return the ribs to the smoker out of the foil for a bit to firm them up. JMO, but I find spraying and flipping does nothing for them. Bone side down all the way </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much. I don't have any foil on hand so thats out. When you do foil at what point do you do it?

If you foil, and i rarely do, it happens on one model after 3 hours. Do it for one hour, then let them cook until done.

Are you finished? How did they turn out?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
If you foil, and i rarely do, it happens on one model after 3 hours. Do it for one hour, then let them cook until done.

Are you finished? How did they turn out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Almost there. I think I kept the heat a little low. I'll be sure to take pics and post how they turned out.

The first cook went well. They were the most tender and as close to fall off the bone I have got so far. I think they may have needed to cook a little longer as the ones cut from the center was a little tougher. I also don't think that had a very smokey taste. I only put in a couple small pieces (all that I had left) at the start and that was it.

Here is what I ended up with.

PC191666.jpg

PC191664.jpg

Those are pretty close to what mine looked like the first time I used my WSM. Now that you've gotten that first cook out of the way, things just get better and easier. Good luck.

I keep a log of my various cooks. I record what I cooked, which mops, bastes, slathers or rub I used, wood choice and temps. It is very useful as you develop your skills in future cooks.

Those ribs look vey good. Luckily, practice makes perfect and practice tastes good.

Hi Dennis, They look pretty good to me. What a great feeling to know that you produced a great product and its only going to get better the next time.

Back