First WSM Cook...complete disaster

Darrin M

TVWBB Member
OK, I have been using my propane smoker (it's called a Smoky Mountain Series, too. strange) and have been having great results with the recipes on this site. But, I wanted another one and you guys convinced me to get a WSM. Ordered it from Amazon and it got here quick. Cool.

So, I decided to try it out with some pork tenderloins. Got them marinated and ready to go. I used two 3/4 full chimneys of charcoal. They aren't the Weber chimney, they're the one they have at Lowe's. I get them going with sterno fuel, which worked awesome. Put them in the bottom, put the water pan on, and got ready. The temperature struggled to get to 200, but I thought it would be OK and put the meat on. The vents were all wide open and it still would barely get above 200. I tried everything. Finally, I came back and reread the troubleshooting and saw I had the water pan in the wrong place. DUH!

That helped a little bit, but it never would get much hotter. After about 2 hours, it was down below 150. The loins had a good smoke flavor already, so I foiled them and finished in the oven. I was quite discouraged, to say the least. I was ready to send it back.

Well, yesterday, I decided to do the chuck roll I had been saving. I thought I'd give it one more chance.

This time, I filled the ring up with charcoal and started a full chimney. The Minion Method. WHen they lit, I put them in the middle and put the meat and everything together. Lo and behold, the temperature went righ up to 200. I adjusted the bottom vents to 25% and it went to 250 and stayed. In 6 hours, it moved between 245 and 255. Hardly any variance. I went to bed and it was still there. Got up this morning...still on 250. The meat was at 170 already, so I foiled it and put it back. I stirred the coals a bit and the temp went right back to 250 and is just sitting there. Amazing.

I'll be taking the meat off soon and can't wait.

So, don't get discouraged, it's probably you if something goes wrong.
icon_biggrin.gif

Way to hang in there, Darrin. As we say in competitive shotgun shooting, when you miss, it's usually not the arrow, it the Indian! These are amazing machines as you found out during the 2nd cook.

Glad the second one worked out! Still sounds like something's awry, tho. If I started with a full lit chimney I'd in the 300+ degree range..!

Practice will help with temp control but tenderloin isnt the best choice for the WSM anyhow. Yes you can do it and I have smoked them but they can dry out easily. Chuck roll for your second cook is jumping in there with both feet! Thats right, go for it! Let us know how it turns out and welcome to the site.
DP

Got the chuck roll pulled and put up. Made quite a few Foodsaver portions. It's a little fatter than I like, but I got rid of most of the fat I could. It seems strange that pork (butt) can be leaner than beef! As far as the meat itself, I think it turned out perfectly. I took it off the cooker at 200 and put it in the ice chest until I got home from Church, then pulled it. Had a nice little Chuck Roll Quesadilla for lunch.

I'm sure if I left the vents open all the way, it would have gotten up to 300 quick, but as soon as it started getting to 200, I closed them to 25% and everything was cool.

Amazingly enough, all of the little tips and tricks on here are right!
icon_biggrin.gif

Now, at least I'll know exactly what everyone is talking about instead of standing in the shadows with my propane poserness. hehe

Way to go Darrin.

I've seen some of the best WSM cooks in the world fight temp all night long.

Just curious was your first cook with fresh charcoal. Even if you just bought it there is a good chance at this time of year the charcoal was damp, which will mess you up.

Q'on

The first and second cook both came from the same bag (Kingsford), so I don't think that was the problem. I'm pretty sure that I A) didn't use enough charcoal and B) smothered what little I had with the water pan.

Darrin,

Yes, Konrad's comment about damp charcoal...

I've used charcoal that was not 100% dry, and struggled to elevate the temp for a rib-eye roast - even with a full charcoal ring.

Leaving my unused charcoal exposed to the open air causes it to absorb moisture. When opening a bag of charcoal, I take what I need, then roll up the remainder in its bag and store it in a dry place (like your tool shed or garage).

Good Luck.
-Albert
icon_smile.gif

Darrin-

My first cook with the WSM, I had the same problems. I was using the chimney starter from Lowes as well. I think that chimney starter is smaller than the Weber version. I know for a fact I didn't have enough fuel the first time I used the smoker, and it was very frustrating.

After seeing a Weber chimeny starter in person, I can say the Lowe's one is about half the size. I'll be looking for a Weber or just do two of the Lowe's ones.

The Weber Chimney holds about 6 lbs. of Kingsford briquets. Other, smaller chimneys only hold about 4 lbs.

Darrin,

Today, I'm where you were after your first smoke. Anyone want to purchase a WSM used only once?

My problem was the opposite ... I couldn't keep the the temperature down low and experienced temperature excursions. The vast majority of the cook the bottom vents were 100% closed.

I might wait for a late winter/early spring snow storm for my next cook ... might help me regulate the temps.

Dennis, on my first cook my Bullet temps were also harder to control, but I think it's because when they're new they're so shiny inside the heat reflects from the shine. Once I had cooked a couple times, the smoke and grease covered the shine inside to absorb some of the heat and the temps were much easier to control. Hang in there!

Dennis:

Backing up what Mark S. said about the brand new, virginal WSM being a bee-atch to control,temp-wise. Add to the fact that I was so excited to get underway with my first brisket that I totally forgot about the waterpan. When the temps went into the stratosphere, I was like a cockroach without a head...scurrying here and there, trying to find out what in Hades was going on!!!
icon_redface.gif

So, in sum, get your WSM all greasy inside and then enjoy a relatively calm, cool & collected smoke!
icon_biggrin.gif

Mark M.

Dennis...I'll paypal you $75 for it! I'd be gald to take that problem off your hands!!

If you want to off load it...get a hold of me here and we'll talk! Thanks!

Now, Greg.

You should be supportive and offer encouragement instead of trying to take advantage of us newbies!
icon_smile.gif

I'm gettin' the itch to try Round #2 this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Now, Greg.

You should be supportive and offer encouragement instead of trying to take advantage of us newbies!
icon_smile.gif

I'm gettin' the itch to try Round #2 this weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis...
It's Greg?!?!?
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Dennis...I'll paypal you $75 for it! I'd be gald to take that problem off your hands!!

If you want to off load it...get a hold of me here and we'll talk! Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alright Dennis...$85.00, but that's my final offer!!
icon_smile.gif

Back