First WSM 22.5 Smoke

Dwight Pennington

TVWBB Member
Hello Gang,
Starting in the morning with my first cook with three Pork Butts that I bought at my local Slaughterhouse.....Around 7lb apeice....I'll be usein AC Leggs BBQ Rub and will probably do some injecting in the process....I can use all the advice I can get...I'll be useing Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book as a first time guideline....Wish me luck....

Good luck Dwight...I did my first pork butt on the 4th of July, turned out amazing and I'm sure yours will also.

Ok, no pics Tony, but messed up my first cook....Not the cookers fault, it was mine and my bad judgement....Oh well, had a good learning experience, but my Pork Butts was touch cause I took em off the heat to soon....I guess I took em off during the "stall"....Also forgot to watch my water/apple juice in my water pan and it evaporated and went to smoking...That's the main reason I took the Butts up early...I should have put more water/apple juice and continued the smoke...Also, didn't seem to have the proper "Bark" like I was expecting....I think I didn't have enough rub on the meat....JMO

Last edited:
Any idea what the internal temps were when you pulled them off? How about cooking temps & time in the pit?
I figure on 12 hours when I'm doing butts and start checking for probe-tender when the internal hits 190 degrees.

Back