Here are a few pics from along the way.

2ega8ag.jpg

xbbf34.jpg

n64azc.jpg

1412gc4.jpg

28v5anb.jpg

epizbb.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few items I learned along the way. They may already be on the boards somewhere, but figured I'd add the here in no particular order.

- Take pictures of everything before you start. I was constantly going back to pictures to see what was where, or what was even visible when assembled.
- Specifically take a picture of the serial number, model number etc. he first shot of Simply Green blew them right off on mine. No wiping or smearing, they just vanished. Luckily I had already taken a picture of it.
- If your model has the real wood, label piece as you take them off. I did not, and because each piece had slightly different screw holes, when I went to put them back on it was like a jigsaw puzzle. If the hole was too far right, or left, the next piece looked weird.
- The wood handle is different wood than the slats. So when you stain it, the colors will be slightly different and you may have to stain one or the other a second time to try and get them closer.
- If you sand down the frame, use 400 grit or higher. I made the mistake of doing a light sanding with 100 and that made the job a lot more work than necessary. The sanding was very visible with the high heat gloss paint. I had to sand, paint, sand, paint numerous times to get them out.
- I used the advice here to dab loctite Anti-Sieze (I used marine grade good to 2400F) on all the bolts through the FB. However worth noting is that you should wear gloves and be very careful as its a real PITA if you get it on the newly painted/cleaned hood.
- I was anxious to fire it up when I put the burners in. The original burners were in great shape and I cleaned them out, and scrubbed them. However when I turned them on, they were flashing yellow flames, and making an off gurgling sound. I read on the weber site that if you don't have the drip pan and FB in place, the airflow is messed up and this happens. When I put everything together it looks/works great. 600 degrees in no time.

If I think of other items, I'll come back and edit this post accordingly. All in all, the grill is solid, and from the serial number check by weber, it was purchased 20 years ago last month, and I cannot see why it wouldn't last another 20 now.

Last edited:
looks like a great job. I have to get off my butt and do my Genesis III again. I last did it about 12 years ago and sitting in the weather seems to have taken it's toll. The frame is getting a little "wobbly".

I was just given a Weber redhead that looks similar to yours, thanks for all your tips, I need new Flavorizer bars, burners, warming racks, propane gauge,grills, paint jobs,etc. Not exactly sure of the age as the info is too faded to determine. I hope that it will end up looking somewhat like your excellent job

Strong work! I have an itch for a redhead like that something awful!!
Your suggestion about taking pictures at EVERY step rings so true in my ears, I hate it when I find three screws leftover!

Fantastic rebuild my friend! It looks better then new! You got an awesome deal, and it was in great shape to start with.. The perfect grill to start perfecting your refurbishing skills.
I've become addicted to rebuilding these Redheads, they are the most beautiful grills around.

Thanks for the comments. For some reason I'm still checking CL for used ones. I would like to get a 3000 or 4000 model to use the frame and move this FB over. I'll need to wait and see.......

You did a great job on that Redhead. Looks better that my Genesis 1000 Redhead. Great advice also.

Good Job and nice pool!!

Restoring a redhead would be a project for my future - but in Germany you wouldn't find them so often. Grilling with gas became more interested only since a few years - so i'm looking all day if someone offers one.

Greetings from Germany
Steffen

Thanks. I actually picked up another identical red Genesis today. A friend saw mine and wanted one so I checked CL and found another well kept Red Genesis 1000. Only difference was I grabbed this one for $10 and had the heavy CI grates. EE serial, so I believe that's 1999.

Great post, scored a unit I pick up on Friday for $35 that looks to be in similar shape as yours at the start. Plan to rebuild over the winter. Going to be for a camp so may not go as large but will wait and see.

Good Job and nice pool!!

Restoring a redhead would be a project for my future - but in Germany you wouldn't find them so often. Grilling with gas became more interested only since a few years - so i'm looking all day if someone offers one.

Greetings from Germany
Steffen

You should check the yard sales on facebook for a military community near you. I just picked up a 2002 Genesis Gold C for 25 euro.

Should have read porcelain or stainless steal flavourizer bars. I mean I know the stainless steal will last for ever, BBQ came with the porcelain and the originals after 20 years are still usable but have holes in some.

If their are holes they are not really usable IMO. Stainless is the way to go but high quality (I.E. RCPlanebuyer's 304 grade ones) are the REAL way to go.

Back