First try with clay sauser {dry)

Greg Wingate

Going to try a "dry" cook with a clay sauser. Should it also be wrapped in AL foil? How about putting a AL pie plate on top to the sauser to catch some drippings for the final sause?

I did my first smoke dry with a caly saucer. I Just wrapped the water pot in foil and I wrapped the saucer in foil. When I cleaned up the water pot was spottless. The clay saucer collected all the drippings and was easy to remove because of the foil. The saucer did have some browning in areas. But was clean.

I would wrap the saucer otherwise the grease will to some degree soak in and mark the saucer. When you're done just remove the foil and discard. If you want to catch drippings leave an air space between the saucer and the foil.
Some people put the saucer in the water pan others do not. Some saucers in the water plan will interfere with the lower rack. Some add two 1/4" washers to the bottom four grill straps. This brings the resting points in a bit making for a more secure placement of the saucer alone. I do that and it works well.

+1 for another layer of foil above the saucer to catch drippings. I don't think a pie pan will be big enough to keep the saucer clean.

you want to keep the saucer clean because it is porous. the grease will soak in and to me, that would be nasty in subsequent cooks.

I wrap both my flower pot base then my water pan. As stated, if grease hits the clay, it will soak right in and ruin it.

Bob

I do not use the water pan at all on my 18.5...it really hangs low and restricts abiliy to stir the lump and knock off ash, add chips etc. I use a 15+" clay saucer, folied.

This does raise the bottom grill an inch but I'm using an extra purchased one that has 3 'L' brackets welded to it for the center grill stands and they aid in grill removal.

I'm considering lengthening the internal grill brackets to drop the bottom grill and saucer to reclaim some food volume, as I now have plenty of working space over the coals.

When completed I'll add photos to the MODS section.

Last edited:
Gene if you go to a 14" saucer it will not raise the height of your bottom grate. Sounds like you have the new model with the bigger water pan. To use the saucer by itself securely just add the washers as mentioned above and it will sit underneath your grate.

Back