First try on WSM 18.5#

george winters

TVWBB Member
today is my first attempt on my new WSM. i am goin to do 3 racks baby backs and 1 whole cut up chicken . my plan is to start as per all video's. unlit coals on bottom add 3 - 4 chunks of hard wood -- then full chimmy of hot lit coals -- foil water tray and have tray filled with warm water - -get WSM to consistand 225f - 250 F -- place ribs on bottom rack and chicken on top and cook for 4 - 5 hours. any suggestions please advise? is this to long on a whole cut up chicken? should i put chicken on only in last 2 hours i wonder

George, welcome to the group. Lots to learn here.
I would add only about 1/3 chimney hot coals. For the temps you want. IMHO if you add 1 full hot your temps will climb really fast. I cook chicken pieces in 1-1 1/2 hrs. Usually at 270-300 but I think 4-5 hrs is way long at those temps and for cut birds.

Good luck on all your cooks.

Mark

What Mark said about the chicken. Ribs @ that temp might even need more then 5 h if you dont foil. Depends on how thick they are. Chicken is done under 2h. I usually cook the whole bird and not peices. And Welcome ofc
icon_biggrin.gif

thanks for reply -- im in motion now - and wont add chicken until im 1/2 ways threw -- was thikning that . also dont have heavy duty foil so just lined it with 2 strips normal foil. thanks for luck

I'd put the chicken on the lower grate. The top grate is hotter and I'd rather have rib juice on my chicken than chicken drippings on my ribs.

I agree with the others. Put the chicken on the bottom rack and allow two hours, especially since it is cut up. Ribs on the top rack for 4 or 5 should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out

BTW, after a few cooks - open your vents a third, put almost a full chimney in the ring, a little over a half chimney of hot coals over them, and put your smoke wood on the hot coals. The WSM should stay in the 225' - 250' range and you won't have to touch the vents.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib4.html I changed it a bit so the hot coals would fill the ring-same amount of coals, though.

Thanks to everyone for help / comments again was my first WSM attempt - i started off having tough time keeping at 225 -- but then it settled in for 3 hours -- i just took ribs off after 5 hours -- i thin i should of took them off at 4 1/2 -- i cooked the chicken on webber kettle grill or the weber charcoal grill at 300 for 2 hours - was perfect -- overall next time i will do it all on WSM - was not enuf room on top rack - and i should of put them on middle rack -- good luck everyone and go canucks, thanks

lastly, i had top vent open 100% and bottome vents most time 1/3 open in order to get 235F throught the 5 hours - any more open on bottom and it spiked to 260 F , thanks again . next try will be a pork butt. cheers

Back