First Try Brisket Flat

JoeR

TVWBB Member
With half a dozen butts, two batches of salmon & chicken, and 3 baby back cooks, I think I'm ready to try the brisket. My first complication is I haven't found a whole brisket, just a 6.4 lb flat. If I want to serve around 7 pm tomorrow, when should I put the brisket on?

I'm so worried about this turning out OK I got a 4.5 lb butt to cook over it, "just in case". Better safe than sorry
icon_smile.gif
. I'll probably start cooking the butt around 9 tonight, but don't want to start the brisket at the same time - if the brisket is done too early, I'd hate to have to refridge it & reheat it for dinner.

I'm planning on using a full ring of kingsford, minion method, 4 apple chunks and some cherry chips, minimal basting, lid temp 250.

Thanks for all suggestions!

For a 6.4 lb brisket, I'd go at 1 hr per lb, and make it a 6 1/2 hr job, so put it in around noon to give yourself plenty of time to cut and fnish it.

I ususally cook 6.5 to 7 pound flats. I rub them the night before ususally right before I go to bed, no trimming at all. I put them on and smoke at 250 with hickory and cherry until about 160ish internal(usually about 6 hours) then wrap in foil until 195-200. I baste several times throughout the cook as well as when wrapping with a pineapple juice/whiskey mix. Rest and slice. If I have some bare spots on the fat side I usually place some fat that I have saved when trimming packers and place it on top. You should be fine with the shoulder dripping on top of it. I have had great success with this method at home and at comps. Good luck.

Joe

With a 4.5 lb butt over a 6+lb brisket, you might be better starting in the morning rather than tonite. You could be looking at 8 to 9 hrs on the butt, but I believe your brisket flat will finish sooner, maybe 6 to 7 hrs ? Smaller flats are tricky and you might want to consider foiling at 160 to avoid the possible drying out. The butt will help, but flats do tend to dry out. You could start your butt at 7 or so and add the brisket below around 10. Let the brisket go to 160 and foil. Then reverse and put the butt on bottom and the brisket foiled with some moisture on top. Take it to 200. You can hold it in a cooler and let your butt go on to 195.

Just some thoughts - they're probably worth what you paid for them.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Thanks for all the info, guys. Think I'll be getting up early tomorrow....

Say, is $5 per pound too much for the flat? I checked three places, thought it should be cheaper.

Put the pork at 7 am, brisket under it at 9 am with a little of the pork fat trimmings on the top. I'll be following your advice here, probably foil the brisket around 3 pm, with some apple juice & fat scraps on top (pork fat - is there anything it can't do?).

10.5 pound of meat on the grill, six people coming over for dinner, sounds about right to me!

Back