First Try at Pork Steaks

DaleW

TVWBB Pro
Found a pack of country style ribs at the grocery, but they were huge. Looked like pork steaks to me so I grabbed them and put them in Stubb's overnight.
imagelhhp.jpg

After that some of my favorite pork rub. This rub has no salt. I usually salt the meat then apply the rub. In this case I thought the Stubb's was enough salt. Turns out I was wrong; a little more salt with the rub would have been better.
imageqaj.jpg

Prepping the grill. I've seen a few posts from folks asking about keeping temps low on the kettle. Here's how I do it. Make a "hole" in the bank of charcoal and put 20 or so lit briquettes in it. Not sure if thats exactly Mr. Minion's method, but it's close. Then manage vents (top and bottom) to keep dome around 300. Thanks to Jim Lampe for his advice on the right temp for the pork steaks!
imagefcs.jpg

Pork is on with the last of my pecan for smoke.
imagekrz.jpg

This was about an hour into the cook. Temp holding good! I have a 26.75, so I can't say if it's easier or harder with a 22.5.
imageaupa.jpg

Ready to be sauced.
imageprh.jpg

Surfer Dude is painting the steaks with the sauce he made. Left over marinade simmered then he added some stuff. It was very good!
imagehlvz.jpg

Table is set. I think I snapped the pic before the red beans and rice made it to the table.
imagefvm.jpg

OK so these were pretty good. I already mentioned the salt thing. It also turns out these were the end cuts from 5 different shoulders. So they were mostly bone! Next time I will have the butcher cut me steaks from one shoulder! And I'm definitely trying again!

Dale, if you have a Sam's Club (or Costco, heard they are alike), they may have REAL pork steaks... they do here.
Your Country Style Ribs look GREAT!
EXCELLENT Colour, I'm sure they were tasty, tender, the Whole Nine Yards!!
Looks to me like those porkies were treated perfectly!

Shake the hand of that surfer duded AND your own!!

I have had Vons cut me up a pork butt for some pork steaks. I am sure Albertsons could cut you some up too, they have meat saws

Looks like a solid first mate! Hard to get a perfect resault if the starting protein isent up to par.

Awesome looking cook Dale! I think PS's come from the butt. Ask your butcher to cut the desired thickness, but at least 3/4" thick. We like the 1" variety. We like them so much, it's hard to go back to PC's. We have some in the freezer with a CR. I think I'm going to be busy this weekend :)

Dale, if you have a Sam's Club (or Costco, heard they are alike), they may have REAL pork steaks... they do here.

The Costco's I go to in AZ don't have pork steaks... they only sell boneless pork butts. I even asked the butcher if he could cut me some, but he said they don't have bone-in butts to cut from. I let my Sam's Club membership lapse, but they do carry pork steaks and bone-in pork butts.

Those are some thick cuts of pork. Too bad they were mostly bone. Looks like you and surfer dude cooked them up great!

Back