First timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, I bought my WSM a few weeks ago and finally got everything together to smoke my first pork butt. Woke up this morning about 5:00am and fired up the WSM using the minion method. Had a Polder probe thermometer on the top cooking grate. Temp ran around 270-280 most of the time. I am sure it will be lower after this first time.

Result: Success! Pulled the butt off around 1:45pm. I used a rub recipe from a great BBQ joint in Syracuse NY (who'd a thought?). I used a North Carolina finishing sauce recipe after having some awesome pulled pork in Sanford, NC. My in-laws are coming for dinner, so I was pretty nervous about getting it right.

I'm going after a turkey next week. Thanks for all the information on this site. I followed most all the advice, made it easy /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mgoeth:
[qb] Well, I bought my WSM a few weeks ago and finally got everything together to smoke my first pork butt.

Result: Success! Pulled the butt off around 1:45pm. I used a rub recipe from a great BBQ joint in Syracuse NY (who'd a thought?). I used a North Carolina finishing sauce recipe after having some awesome pulled pork in Sanford, NC. My in-laws are coming for dinner, so I was pretty nervous about getting it right.
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey, congratulations! I'm also a new WSM owner and so far have had a great time with it. I'd love to hear more details about the rub and finishing sauce you used, and what changes (if any) you plan to make next time.

-Richard

Sorry I did not respond earlier, I was out in Syracuse for business. The name of the BBQ joint is Dinosaur BBQ. I had a chance to do have dinner their again, it's awesome. The side dishes are as good as the Q!

I will post the rub on the recipe section in the next few days. The "finishing" sauce is easy to make. Look up North Carolina pulled pork in Google and you'll find many sites with the finishing sauce recipe. The big difference is that it is vinegar based intstead of tomato based. It's almost a sweet & sour sauce. I bet many would prefer it once they try it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mgoeth:
[qb]The name of the BBQ joint is Dinosaur BBQ. I had a chance to do have dinner their again, it's awesome. The side dishes are as good as the Q!
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They have a nice book:

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que

Regards,
Chris

[qb]
Look up North Carolina pulled pork in Google and you'll find many sites with the finishing sauce recipe. The big difference is that it is vinegar based intstead of tomato based. It's almost a sweet & sour sauce. I bet many would prefer it once they try it. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's Eastern North Carolina sauce. Here in piedmont and in western NC, it's a mixture of vinegar and tomato in varying amounts, most often equal quanities.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back