First time WSM user.. question

Adrian Pires

Hello everyone. I just purchased my WSM through the link here. I am planning on making a brisket and some ribs for this weekend. I've read that the brisket takes about 10 to 12 hours depending on weight. The ribs of course take less. Do you add the ribs after the brisket has been cooking for a while so that everything is ready at about the same time?

Adrian - Thats the way I do it, but others may have other ideas. Depending on a bunch of stuff - my ribs (spares, St Louis cut) usually take about 5 hours at 250 or so. I cooked a brisket flat a few weeks ago and it was ready about 9 hours in (I did foil it for about 2 hours). Start early, give yourself plenty of time, don't fret too much about little variations in temperatures and have fun.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Adrian Pires:
Do you add the ribs after the brisket has been cooking for a while so that everything is ready at about the same time? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. You can rest the brisket for a few hours so that will help you. As the brisket comes up to temp, put the ribs on when you think the brisket has about 3-4 hours left to go. The brisket will get done and you rest it while the ribs finish and then you can serve them both at the same time. You'll get better at judging cook and prep times after you've done this a few times. As Pat said, relax. The worse that will happen is you'll eat later than you planned. Either way, you'll be eating. Enjoy.

Hi Adrian -

Welcome to the board. My opinion, for whatever that's worth, would be to start with a simpler meat, like pork butt. It is much more forgiving and very difficult to mess up.

I'm not saying you don't know how to bbq, but you're going to have to learn the wsm a bit and I would hate to ruin a good brisket.

I just received my new smoker Wednesday, and I did chicken legs that night because I was afraid to mess up a bigger cut. I'm glad I did, as I learned a lot in the process. So last night I threw on some spares and they cooker ran much better, just having one practice cook.

If you're set on brisket and ribs, go for it and enjoy. Like Jerry said, you can rest the brisket foiled in cooler for several hours. Plan on getting it done early and then you can eat when your ribs are done.

Personally, I am always amazed by the "brisket mystique" that seems to abound here. Brisket is no more difficult to cook than pork butt. In fact, I cook both EXACTLY the same, and have never had any difficulty. The truth be told, I actually have more difficulty with butts "plateauing" in temp, than I do brisket. I cook either to appx 160-170 degree internal temp at the thickest point, foil, continue cooking until 195-205 internal temperature is reached, rest about 30 minutes, and slice/chop/pull. You can use temp, or ,if you can judge by "feel" do that. Alot of guys here eschew temp in favor of "the feel of a probe sliding in like butter". Now, I know what that feeling is, because I have cooked 500 briskets. You, probably do not. With a butt, it is somewhat easier. They are usually falling apart when done. If you can pull the bone out? It is done! My advice is, use foil for your first several cooks because it makes the process more foolproof. If you want to try it without once you are adept, have at it. Brisket suffers less from foiling. Butt bark is simply more tasty and necessary to the end product. Good luck. Woodman

As a first time user, I would not suggest trying to get both to finish at the same time. Time it so that the ribs will be done about an hour or more before you think they will be done. This way, if they need a little more time to cook, you've got it without going into overtime. I personally would start a smoke like this at the same time, and pull off the ribs when done. And if you have the time, I would suggest buying a package of chicken thighs and smoking them first to get some familiarity with using your smoker.

brisket gets its mystique if you are not using a WSM or some contraption that can keep even temps.

its a lot different cooking with a very very large pit using wood logs to fire it than it is using some sort of charcoal product and a device that maintains temps like a wsm. thats where the mystery comes in for cooking briskets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Merka:
brisket gets its mystique if you are not using a WSM or some contraption that can keep even temps.

its a lot different cooking with a very very large pit using wood logs to fire it than it is using some sort of charcoal product and a device that maintains temps like a wsm. thats where the mystery comes in for cooking briskets. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon, I think it is infinitely more easy to cook them in the WSM to be honest! Set it, forget it. I can't fall asleep for 4 hours with my pit! I cooked two 8 lb flats in the WSM last weekend and barely had to do anything. I'm just saying, it really is a pretty forgiving cut of meat. Call me an iconoclast!

IMHO, do a trial burn after spraying the interior with pam. New ones aren't as stable as a broke in one because of the clean shiny interior, I guess. Also, you'll find that your food tastes alot better the next day because you've been tending your smoker around that smoke all day.

1st cook, he's got plenty to think about. Just cook and enjoy. I usually under estimate prep time, but then, I'm still pretty new at this myself. Emjoy the first cook, and snap some photo's.

Back